Question regarding DVM credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inquiryDVM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been in touch with someone who has initialed DVM after their name despite their license being expired for several years. Is that legal to represent yourself as a DVM if you do not have an active license? Want to make sure the person is legit before continuing the conversation.

Members don't see this ad.

My mom went to dental school and retired as a dentist 20 years ago. She's still a dentist even though she let her license expire a couple years ago, she just can't practice. The DDS is still after her name and she still uses the Dr. title because she still IS one, just doesn't have an active license to practice. She went through a lot of school, just like this DVM, to earn that degree and title, so yes, I'd say it's fine for this DVM to continue calling themselves one.

Reactions: 1 users
Like Ski said, DVM is a degree not proof of licensure. It's like someone saying "John Doe, BS" or "Jane Smith AAS, BS, MSc." But you can't treat patients without an active license. I think I've read somewhere that some places (like Canada I think?) are more particular about calling yourself "Dr. Smith" if you aren't licensed but you can still say John Smith, DVM but that's the opposite of what you're asking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like Ski said, DVM is a degree not proof of licensure. It's like someone saying "John Doe, BS" or "Jane Smith AAS, BS, MSc." But you can't treat patients without an active license. I think I've read somewhere that some places (like Canada I think?) are more particular about calling yourself "Dr. Smith" if you aren't licensed but you can still say John Smith, DVM but that's the opposite of what you're asking about.
As far as I know, anyone with a doctoral degree can call themselves Dr in Canada. Ive never known otherwise ( but it's a big country so might be a regional thing?).
Anyway I echo what everyone else said. We're licensed provincially. So I am still a DVM and still Dr Coquette no matter where I go in Canada but I'm only licensed to practice in Nova Scotia. My SO is currently licensed in NS and NB because he just moved to NB but his NS license is still good until the end of the year. Make sense?

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I know, anyone with a doctoral degree can call themselves Dr in Canada. Ive never known otherwise ( but it's a big country so might be a regional thing?).
Anyway I echo what everyone else said. We're licensed provincially. So I am still a DVM and still Dr Coquette no matter where I go in Canada but I'm only licensed to practice in Nova Scotia. My SO is currently licensed in NS and NB because he just moved to NB but his NS license is still good until the end of the year. Make sense?
Good to know. :) I really thought I read that somewhere, but maybe I made it up. I can't find it again right this second. Thanks for clarifying it wasn't all of Canada like I thought...you would probably know!

Edit: I found it on a DVM Facebook group after some more searching. Apparently in Ontario you can't call yourself a Dr. without the licensure? So regional like you mentioned was possible. A DVM posted a screenshot of their vet association website specifically referring to the question if you could use the prefix Dr. after retirement and the response was only if an active license is held otherwise you are limited to degree credentials only. Someone also replied to the post and said it's similar in Australia but provided no additional details. But again, still the opposite of the OP's question and a random aside.

Last edited:
I have been in touch with someone who has initialed DVM after their name despite their license being expired for several years. Is that legal to represent yourself as a DVM if you do not have an active license? Want to make sure the person is legit before continuing the conversation.
I don't think so.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My mom went to dental school and retired as a dentist 20 years ago. She's still a dentist even though she let her license expire a couple years ago, she just can't practice. The DDS is still after her name and she still uses the Dr. title because she still IS one, just doesn't have an active license to practice. She went through a lot of school, just like this DVM, to earn that degree and title, so yes, I'd say it's fine for this DVM to continue calling themselves one.
It's probably okay if they aren't practicing.

I don't think so.

It's probably okay if they aren't practicing.

You're giving two different responses here. To them, you say you don't think it's legal for them to call themselves a DVM if they no longer have an active license, but then to me you say that it's probably okay as long as they're not practicing.

They never said the person was practicing without a license, just calling themselves by their full name, including the DVM distinction at the end that they worked hard to get. Which, for dentistry, is something that isn't uncommon and I assume is the same for vetmed. You don't just stop becoming a veterinarian just because you retire. You still are one, you just are not able to practice if you let your license expire. You can always at anytime retake your boards and get your license back, as long as it wasn't taken away from you for misuse or something. If my mom really wanted, she could take her dentistry boards again and become a licensed dentist and practice again if she chose. You don't stop being your professional title just because you let your license expire.

Reactions: 2 users
A DVM posted a screenshot of their vet association website specifically referring to the question if you could use the prefix Dr. after retirement and the response was only if an active license is held otherwise you are limited to degree credentials only. Someone also replied to the post and said it's similar in Australia but provided no additional details. But again, still the opposite of the OP's question and a random aside.

Ok, but aren't your "degree credentials" a doctorate, and thus able to call yourself "doctor" or to put your degree (DVM/VMD) after your initials?

I wonder what they do across the pond with their BVSc or BVMS degrees? Those aren't technically doctorates, so even though we accept it as doctorate-level here, can they call themselves "doctor" if they aren't actively licensed?

(Ha! Adding confusion!)

Ok, but aren't your "degree credentials" a doctorate, and thus able to call yourself "doctor" or to put your degree (DVM/VMD) after your initials?

I wonder what they do across the pond with their BVSc or BVMS degrees? Those aren't technically doctorates, so even though we accept it as doctorate-level here, can they call themselves "doctor" if they aren't actively licensed?

(Ha! Adding confusion!)
Here is what the person posted a screen shot of on Facebook. It doesn't cite a law or anything so idk...I do see your point. I'm not from anywhere near Ontario, I was just mentioning it to bring up the fact that it might not be the same everywhere. It is likely semantics anyway, I have a hard time envisioning going around fining people for using the prefix Dr. instead of only DVM. If anything you'd probably just get a sternly worded cease and desist letter, haha. It seems like such a random thing to go enforce. Maybe it relates to the Doctor of Vet Med vs bachelors like you said? So confusing.
The College of Veterinarians of Ontario - Frequently Asked Questions About Licensure

Edit: I had only remembered seeing someone say that people should remember unlicensed vets are still doctors and while the vast majority of people agreed some person got all up in arms claiming that it wasn't necessarily true and posting stuff even though most people were of the opinion that having the DVM made you the doctor not licensure (which I agree with 100%, please don't mistake my intentions). Just sharing what I've learned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user