Question regarding irish schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drwanabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, guys i'm new to this forum, and was wondering if you could answear a few questions for me. One being, Whch school is USD, Whcih of these schools offer 4 year programs, and which schools require mcat and which don't. Any schools soft on canadians (hahaha - i'm from there). These irish schools are crazy expensive but seem really good. How do any canadians pay for them. Any suggestions would be great. Also, anybody from newfoundland here, or attending an medschool in ireland.

Members don't see this ad.

I can help you with 2 of those questions.

1) I'm sure you mean UCD. Thats the University College of Dublin, one of 5 (?) universities that offer medicine in Ireland.
2) The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland is the only university right now who offer a 4-year graduate course for medicine.

Trinity College Dublin does not require you to sit the MCAT, the other four (UCD,UCC,RCSI,NUIG) do.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCD = University College Dublin (not "of Dublin")
RCSI = Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (local medics refer to it generally as "Surgeons", others may call it RCSI)

Other four universities in ROI = UCC (UC Cork), UCG (UCGalway), TCD (Trinity College Dublin OR University of Dublin), and RCSI

Trinity College Dublin does not require you to sit the MCAT, the other four (UCD,UCC,RCSI,NUIG) do.
Only UCC requires you to write the MCAT. RCSI requires the MCAT for the 4 year course (I think??) but not all their courses. UCD will look at your MCAT marks if you have them (and I'm sure it helps your app to have them). I don't think NUIG will even look at your marks. Trinity doesn't use them in their selection process.

There are Canadians at all the schools. Next to Malaysians, I think Canadians make up the next biggest group of foreigners.

Only RCSI has a 4 year program this year. UCD and UCC have 4 year graduate entry programs planned sometime for the future. Although people have been saying they've been accepted to a 4 year UCD program this year? So maybe they started one already?

Irish schools aren't THAT much more then Canadian schools. And they're not as expensive as non-state schools in the US. Except for RCSI - it's tuition is over 10k more then the other Irish schools. There are a couple of financing options - the best of which is using RBC in my opinion. Although some RCSI students have been saying they've been trouble getting funding from RBC this year so I don't know what the deal is with RCSI.

If you would be paying in-province tuition for Canadian schools, Ireland is MUCH more expensive. Also, the planned 4-yr GEPs at UCD, UCC, etc. are only for EU students, except at RCSI, which already has one (for both NA and EU students).