Question regarding Large IPad Pro vs Surface Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newptstudent88

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a new student who just got accepted into a PT program starting in the fall of 2017. I have a very old laptop and therefore need to buy something for note taking for PT school. I was looking into the surface book and also the IPad Pro ( large screen). From what I have read, the surface book can do a lot more and is an actual laptop, but people seem to say it's not as reliable and is glitchy. The Ipad on the other hand is much cheaper and supposedly much more reliable and less glitchy. Both have the pen features and can translate your writing to text, etc.

For those of you that have either or both, can you tell me why you chose what you did? Since the IPad is cheaper I was leaning that way but if it will limit me regarding studies in DPT school, I will spend the extra for a surface book. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am still in my undergrad but have an iPad Pro that I use for all my notes. It's honestly the best purchase I've made for school. I've had no problems at all with it yet. It's very fast and not too heavy for the size. I recommend getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For me, iPad Pro + iPencil is the winning combo. It was so instrumental throughout my first semester in PT school. The iPencil's cost is a little disgusting. I almost wanted to hate it so I could return it and get a cheaper replacement. Unfortunately, it functions so well with the tablet that I couldn't give it up. If it doesn't break the bank, I'd recommend getting it if you go with the iPad Pro. The initial reason I wanted the iPad Pro was because the note-taking app that I really wanted to use was Notability, which is only available through Apple's App Store. It was also really helpful to purchase the Essential Anatomy 5 app, which I believe is not available on android tablets (though might be available for pc desktop).

Alternatively, a few of my classmates have the Surface and really like it! I think they use either Evernote or OneNote for note-taking.

Bottom line for me is having a tablet and a note-taking app, PERIOD. I don't know how I ever got anything done in undergrad without it. Picking which system will come down to preference. You'll do equally great with either option :)
Hello I am a new student who just got accepted into a PT program starting in the fall of 2017. I have a very old laptop and therefore need to buy something for note taking for PT school. I was looking into the surface book and also the IPad Pro ( large screen). From what I have read, the surface book can do a lot more and is an actual laptop, but people seem to say it's not as reliable and is glitchy. The Ipad on the other hand is much cheaper and supposedly much more reliable and less glitchy. Both have the pen features and can translate your writing to text, etc.

For those of you that have either or both, can you tell me why you chose what you did? Since the IPad is cheaper I was leaning that way but if it will limit me regarding studies in DPT school, I will spend the extra for a surface book. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a first year student, and I too had the same question as you before starting my program. I ended up getting the giant ipad pro with the apple pencil and keyboard. It cost an arm and a leg, but I feel it is so worth it. Notability is amazing, and I do not know how I got through undergrad without it. The only downside that I have is that I find it still very difficult to type papers. The Microsoft office apps run much better on a laptop still, I feel. So personally, I feel if you are going to get an ipad, you need to have a working laptop or computer.

A lot of my classmates function quite well with just a laptop. If you run on windows, OneNote is an amazing note taking app that can be run on a laptop.

Edit: Just took a look at the surface book. That looks sick! If you're willing to spend that cash, I say go for it. If you aren't I say get an ipad pro and a reasonably priced laptop.

Last edited:
I think I am going to go with a surfacebook. It has awesome features and works both as a laptop and a tablet!

I have been thinking about this question for a month or so now, and I'm leaning towards a surface also. The question is whether a m3 would suffice, or buy the one with the i5 processor. Also, I'm hearing that the Surface Pro 5 is going to be released this Spring, and there are already sales going on with the Pro 4 on the Microsoft website. I am wondering if I should capitalize on this sale that is going on, or wait till the Pro 5 comes, and hope that the Pro 4 will be cheaper than the current price. Any thoughts?

heard notability is good on the ipad.