Question regarding LOR's and how they are sent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Northwesty

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am an aspiring PT. I have not yet completed my undergrad degree, although I'm on the right track with a 3.8 GPA and 30 Hrs so far into my PT observation. My question is this: When i apply to grad schools through PTCAS, do I need to have my references send a LOR to each school? Or do I send one copy to PTCAS and do they distribute it? I'm asking because it might be a couple years before I apply, and I want to know if I need to keep in touch with my references. It seems very unefficient that I would have to bug a very busy professor, ex employer, and PT to make 20 copies of a LOR and sign and send out for me top 20 different schools? Whay can't I just ask them to send me one original and I make copies and send them out? This is quite silly. What if I work my tail off for a reference and then they flake out on me 2 years down the road when I need the reference? Do i bribe them with cookies? Suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
 
For PTCAS schools: only one copy of the LOR is required, and PTCAS will distribute it to all the schools you're applying to.

For non-PTCAS schools, you'll have to ask the "recommenders" to write separate letters for you.

Bribing with cookies always works 🙂. Seriously, do try to keep in touch with a couple of favorite professors throughout your career. I did, and it has been immensely helpful.