Question regarding LOR's and how they are sent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Northwesty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am an aspiring PT. I have not yet completed my undergrad degree, although I'm on the right track with a 3.8 GPA and 30 Hrs so far into my PT observation. My question is this: When i apply to grad schools through PTCAS, do I need to have my references send a LOR to each school? Or do I send one copy to PTCAS and do they distribute it? I'm asking because it might be a couple years before I apply, and I want to know if I need to keep in touch with my references. It seems very unefficient that I would have to bug a very busy professor, ex employer, and PT to make 20 copies of a LOR and sign and send out for me top 20 different schools? Whay can't I just ask them to send me one original and I make copies and send them out? This is quite silly. What if I work my tail off for a reference and then they flake out on me 2 years down the road when I need the reference? Do i bribe them with cookies? Suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For PTCAS schools: only one copy of the LOR is required, and PTCAS will distribute it to all the schools you're applying to.

For non-PTCAS schools, you'll have to ask the "recommenders" to write separate letters for you.

Bribing with cookies always works :). Seriously, do try to keep in touch with a couple of favorite professors throughout your career. I did, and it has been immensely helpful.

Ok cool that helps! Yes, I will definatly make sure to keep in touch.