question regarding personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPmamd09

Chillin
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, sorry to already start on ERAS type questions, but I'm trying to be prepared (baby due in July, won't be the optimal time to try and crank out a good application). I'm taking a year off after my graduation in May and applying to path for the '10 match. Switched specialties late in 4th year, wanted to do multiple path rotations to be sure I was making the right decision (since I'd banked on a different specialty before - had interviews scheduled, etc). Also, as above, baby in July. Doing path research at what will be alma mater currently and thru year off.

I want to be open and honest about my year off, why I chose to do it despite the fact that it was a really difficult decision to make, etc. While I don't want to overkill it while addressing it in the PS, I also don't want to just gloss over it in a different part of the app. Anyone have any suggestions/advice? Thanks all, much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, sorry to already start on ERAS type questions, but I'm trying to be prepared (baby due in July, won't be the optimal time to try and crank out a good application). I'm taking a year off after my graduation in May and applying to path for the '10 match. Switched specialties late in 4th year, wanted to do multiple path rotations to be sure I was making the right decision (since I'd banked on a different specialty before - had interviews scheduled, etc). Also, as above, baby in July. Doing path research at what will be alma mater currently and thru year off.

I want to be open and honest about my year off, why I chose to do it despite the fact that it was a really difficult decision to make, etc. While I don't want to overkill it while addressing it in the PS, I also don't want to just gloss over it in a different part of the app. Anyone have any suggestions/advice? Thanks all, much appreciated.

I would only devote a paragraph in your PS if I were you. I don't think that's overkill, but people will definitely be curious about it, so it would be wise to address it openly and honestly otherwise you'll pay for it during the interview.

Makes sure to mention in your personal statement that you knew the pathology is for you from the moment you saw opened colon.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would talk about why you chose Pathology and everything you are doing for that matter.....
Not sure I would mention the year off in the PS, I would leave that for the interview, those who want to know will ask you right then and there, and I think it is easier to explain about the baby in person than in a PS. But that's just me.......
Good luck!!

Please know that the people who are answering your question here are also just medical students who may/may not have matched, or at best residents... neither of which will have a huge influence on whether you get into future programs. (Residents do have some input during your interview day ratings, but what faculty and directors think is much more emphasized from what I can tell as to whether you get into the program of your choice...)

For these reasons, if I were you, I would write at least 2 drafts of your statement. One including the time off reasoning with the baby included but not overly emphasized, and one without that just states your interest in pathology and research you will be conducting. Then once you finish you can see which seems the best. If you are still undecided, I would also take both versions to your pathology director at your home program and to your letter of recommendation writers and get their input before submitting anything into ERAS. They should be able to give you an honest opinion and be able to help you edit portions if needed.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!!

Thanks all for your advice, it's much appreciated. I have discussed the issue of whether or not to address the time off with the assistant PD (worked with him the most on rotations so he knows me/situation best); his advice was to certainly address it. I was wondering the best way to address it - dedicate a paragraph to it, attempt to explain it all in the PS (b/c it was a multifactorial decision and I want to be honest) so when interview time comes it's not a red flag (and will therefore prevent me from getting interviews), but also don't want to "waste" my entire PS on making apologies for not applying as a senior and not adequately convey my sincere interest in pathology.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it (and will try not to harass everyone too much with application/interview questions for advice ;)).

I was wondering the best way to address it - dedicate a paragraph to it, attempt to explain it all in the PS (b/c it was a multifactorial decision and I want to be honest) so when interview time comes it's not a red flag (and will therefore prevent me from getting interviews), but also don't want to "waste" my entire PS on making apologies for not applying as a senior and not adequately convey my sincere interest in pathology.

I think Pathologenius is pretty right on. You don't want to devote too much space to it. Over-explaning something can also be indicative of lying or deception. The exact multifactorial reasoning probably won't matter to most, and the ones who do can ask you about it.

I'm trying to remember the ERAS app, if there is a separate section for "interruptions" to your training. I'd ask your PD if this would count as an "interruption" or might better be explained in that section. That way, you could dedicate your PS to explaining why you want to do Path, and stick the explanation in the other box - but still, I'd keep it fairly brief.

Ultimately, I think PS's get read by some, skimmed by most, mostly looking for facility with the language or anything that "sticks out"... grades, board scores, and letters of rec probably matter more - assuming your PS isn't just way out in left field.

Good luck
DBH

As someone who has spent time on both sides of PSs, in my opinion applicants tend to have a very, very over-inflated view of how big a part the PS plays. That is understandable as, if I may continue psychologizing, at the time one completes the application, the PS is really the only part of it that one has any control over.

When I have had occasion to evaluate applications, pretty much all the applications that made it to the PS-reading stage were good. Any one of those candidates would have (probably) made a fine resident. Thus, at that point I was looking more for things to provide some shred of justification for eliminating a candidate rather than to include a candidate. If someone's essay looked very unfocused, or if the person did not seem to be able to consistently construct coherent and (mostly) grammatical sentences, or – the kiss of death – if the essay had glaring errors of spelling and basic word usage, that application went near the bottom of the pile. On the flip side, only very occasionally did a PS contain some interesting bit of info that would boost it near the top. Having said that, brevity was always appreciated.

The PS should really be considered an opportunity to: (1) display that you can adequately communicate in written English; (2) express why you are interested in pathology, and perhaps how you see yourself practicing in the future (private vs. academic, etc); and (3) address any "odd" things that may appear elsewhere in your application.

(1) and (2) you should ALWAYS do, fully and clearly. As for (3), you should be a little strategic. You don't want to draw excessive attention to something that might be looked upon dubiously. Remember, they are looking for reasons to eliminate you.

Given your situation, as explained above, I would imbed in your essay one paragraph that explains, simply and clearly, why you did what you did. Put a positive spin on it. DO NOT use the phrase "took a year off." Confidently say, as you do above, you discovered pathology late in medical school and wanted to do path rotations to be sure you were making the right decision. The following year you worked in a pathology research lab, and, your "biggest accomplishment," had a baby. (Be sure to include "biggest accomplishment." Corny? Yes. But people love that stuff - and best of all, it's true.) DO NOT apologize. DO NOT dwell on what a "difficult decision" it was. DO NOT use the word or invoke the concept of "multifactorial."

Far more evaluators will be impressed with your having known what was best for you, and doing it, than be put off by your "taking a year off" (which, remember, you didn't). In your final application, include an LOR from someone with whom you worked during that year.

Thanks all for the great suggestions and advice. All of your time is very much appreciated, and I feel like I've gotten some good thoughts on how to maybe frame this PS, while at the same time not getting too neurotic about it. Thanks again!

I'm was in a somewhat similar position. I had medical issues that affected my time in school. I addressed it with the first paragraph or two, then redirected to focus on why I wanted to be a pathologist. It's your opportunity to address anything that's important about your story.

As someone who has spent time on both sides of PSs, in my opinion applicants tend to have a very, very over-inflated view of how big a part the PS plays. That is understandable as, if I may continue psychologizing, at the time one completes the application, the PS is really the only part of it that one has any control over.

When I have had occasion to evaluate applications, pretty much all the applications that made it to the PS-reading stage were good. Any one of those candidates would have (probably) made a fine resident. Thus, at that point I was looking more for things to provide some shred of justification for eliminating a candidate rather than to include a candidate. If someone's essay looked very unfocused, or if the person did not seem to be able to consistently construct coherent and (mostly) grammatical sentences, or – the kiss of death – if the essay had glaring errors of spelling and basic word usage, that application went near the bottom of the pile. On the flip side, only very occasionally did a PS contain some interesting bit of info that would boost it near the top. Having said that, brevity was always appreciated.

The PS should really be considered an opportunity to: (1) display that you can adequately communicate in written English; (2) express why you are interested in pathology, and perhaps how you see yourself practicing in the future (private vs. academic, etc); and (3) address any "odd" things that may appear elsewhere in your application.

(1) and (2) you should ALWAYS do, fully and clearly. As for (3), you should be a little strategic. You don't want to draw excessive attention to something that might be looked upon dubiously. Remember, they are looking for reasons to eliminate you.

Given your situation, as explained above, I would imbed in your essay one paragraph that explains, simply and clearly, why you did what you did. Put a positive spin on it. DO NOT use the phrase "took a year off." Confidently say, as you do above, you discovered pathology late in medical school and wanted to do path rotations to be sure you were making the right decision. The following year you worked in a pathology research lab, and, your "biggest accomplishment," had a baby. (Be sure to include "biggest accomplishment." Corny? Yes. But people love that stuff - and best of all, it's true.) DO NOT apologize. DO NOT dwell on what a "difficult decision" it was. DO NOT use the word or invoke the concept of "multifactorial."

Far more evaluators will be impressed with your having known what was best for you, and doing it, than be put off by your "taking a year off" (which, remember, you didn't). In your final application, include an LOR from someone with whom you worked during that year.

This is great advice!

DO NOT use the word or invoke the concept of "multifactorial."

Hehe did I hit a nerve? :)

Seriously, tardieu gave you some great advice there. Follow it.

I agree. You should definitely explain why you took a year off in your PS, but just a paragraph. Having any break in training is a giant red flag to programs and if you don't offer some kind of explanation many programs will not consider you.

As an intern and a Mom, my advice would be to leave the baby part out of it. It will come up enough on its own, and they can't ask you about it unless you bring it up.
So use your personal statement to explain why you made the WISE decision to fully explore Pathology before matching in it. So what if it worked out conveniently to allow for maternity leave?