Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erinnightcaller

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are absolutely all over the map.

The two specialties you mention are very different in terms of patient population, lifestyle, and training.

Large animal vet? I have no idea, but going to vet school isn’t like getting your real estate license.

Figure out if you want to be a doctor at all, shadow some in various fields, and worry about getting accepted to medical school. Specialty is a long way off and there are many factors that come into play when selecting one.

The two specialties you mention are very different in terms of patient population, lifestyle, and training.

Large animal vet? I have no idea, but going to vet school isn’t like getting your real estate license.

Figure out if you want to be a doctor at all, shadow some in various fields, and worry about getting accepted to medical school. Specialty is a long way off and there are many factors that come into play when selecting one.

I do indeed want to be a doctor and that has been decided. I know I'm all over the map and that gynecology and orthopedics are VERY different. I want to do orthopedics but gynecology is kind of close to me for various reasons, so I thought I'd at least ask.. although I figure orthopedics would be better since it'd be less sensitive for me. As for large animal vet, it's no walk in the park but I would like to gain that knowledge and degree along with my MD, even though it isn't a walk in the park.

I'm thinking way ahead I know, but never too early to start I suppose. I'm already in my schools premedical and prevet track and I'm loving them both, so definetely set on medicine of some sort.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've also already shadowed a large animal vet, but finding doctors to shadow in my area has been a real task. Most just don't feel like dealing with it I've found.

is this even possible?
No.

-Med school length: 4 years
-Orthopedic residency length: 5 years (including transitional general surgery internship)
-Sports medicine fellowship length: 1 year
-OB/Gyn residency length: 4 years
-Vet school length: 4 years

Right there, you're up to eighteen years of training, and that's assuming you can actually convince a vet school to take you after you've dedicated fourteen years to medical training (or an OB/Gyn residency to take you when you're already an orthopedist + vet, or whatever). And you'd have to find lenders willing to lend money to you with little hope of getting any of it back for at least twenty years.

It's not uncommon for aspiring physicians to be interested in a wide range of fields and specialties. By the time they're applying for residency positions, though, they have to narrow it down. Step one, which you say you've done, is to decide whether to be an MD/DO or a DVM. Step two is getting into school. Step three is kicking ass in school (which you absolutely need to do if you want to be competitive for orthopedic residency spots). Step four is narrowing it down to a single specialty. Take the steps in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
@HomeSkool said it eloquently. Your variety of ideas sounds reasonable to you because you’re not yet in a position to actually make those decisions.

For those already in the process, it sounds as silly as saying you want to be an Astronaut and a Supreme Court Justice, and then retire as a professional Bull Rider.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! I'm new here so forgive me if this post isn't in the right place, but I have a question or two.

So, I know I'm probably an oddball but I want to do orthopedics (sports medicine) and also gynecology (just gynecology. Not obstetrics, although I know in residency I'd have to do obstetrics as well). Is this even possible/realistic? I also wanted to at some point become a large animal veterinarian since I could keep doing that after retirement, and it'd be very fun. (More like a hobby than a career you could say). I know that would likely result in a mountain of loans to pay off though, and is this even possible?
If you complete a Family Medicine residency, you will be trained in gynecology (3-4years). You can then spend a year getting a certificate in Sports Med, and qualify to practice in non-surgical orthopedics.

Sorry I can't work large-animal vet med into this plan, but the pediatrics you'd learn in Family Med might be considered a close second.

Reactions: 8 users
If you complete a Family Medicine residency, you will be trained in gynecology (3-4years). You can then spend a year getting a certificate in Sports Med, and qualify to practice in non-surgical orthopedics.

Sorry I can't work large-animal vet med into this plan, but the pediatrics you'd learn in Family Med might be considered a close second.
How common is it for FPs to do non-operative gyn with no obstetrics? (I have no knowledge of this. I just take care of the epidurals. ;))

(BTW, I LOL'd at the pediatrics comment. I've been chasing my 19-month-old around all day.)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I'm new here so forgive me if this post isn't in the right place, but I have a question or two.

So, I know I'm probably an oddball but I want to do orthopedics (sports medicine) and also gynecology (just gynecology. Not obstetrics, although I know in residency I'd have to do obstetrics as well). Is this even possible/realistic? I also wanted to at some point become a large animal veterinarian since I could keep doing that after retirement, and it'd be very fun. (More like a hobby than a career you could say). I know that would likely result in a mountain of loans to pay off though, and is this even possible?
Focus on getting in medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
For those already in the process, it sounds as silly as saying you want to be an Astronaut and a Supreme Court Justice, and then retire as a professional Bull Rider.

couldn't have said it better myself. Doing two residencies on purpose, let alone two completely different schools (Med and vet) is beyond absurd. Also, many of these residencies are very competitive and won't just take you because you want them to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
1) How common is it for FPs to do non-operative gyn with no obstetrics? (I have no knowledge of this. I just take care of the epidurals. ;))

2) (BTW, I LOL'd at the pediatrics comment. I've been chasing my 19-month-old around all day.)
1) Very common, especially after the first few years of practice when FPs discover their delivery volume isn't high enough to pay the large markup in malpractice insurance rates for doing deliveries.

2) :thumbup:

What is the point in doing both residencies, how can you integrate them in your practice? Only look at female patients in sport injury specific to reproductive health??? there is no point in doing two residency if you're not going to use them in your practice. just get into med school first, you sound confused

What is the point in doing both residencies, how can you integrate them in your practice? Only look at female patients in sport injury specific to reproductive health??? there is no point in doing two residency if you're not going to use them in your practice. just get into med school first, you sound confused
I once had a patient who got stoned, went car-surfing, and ended up with her femur in her vagina (yes, really). So I can see how a gynecologic orthopedist might be useful in certain situations... :hungover:

Last edited:
I once had a patient who got stoned, went car-surfing, and ended up with her femur in her vagina (yes, really). So I can see how a gynecologic orthopedist might be useful in certain situations... :hungover:
This reminds me of the movie idiocracy.

I know many patients who could use a neurologic proctologist

Reactions: 1 users
This thread gave me a headache.

The profession you described could probably be a real thing in a Shonda Rhimes show.

Status
Not open for further replies.