Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakersfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I haven't really posted in this forum but I want to know what many of you recommend I do this summer. I'm going to USC beginning in August and will be off till then(I just retired from my current job since I got into USC a few weeks back). Right now, I'm leaning towards wanting to become an orthopaedic surgeon. I know it is a very competitive residency to get into and want to increase my chances/learn more about the field in my time off right now. I know USC has a resident program but do you think any of the professors there would let me get involved in some research there before I'm even an MS1? I would appreciated any advice, especially from those people who are familiar with orthopaedics in southern california. Thanks.

P.S. Is it really true that many orthopaedic surgeons are former athletes?

Members don't see this ad.

lakersfan said:
Hey everyone,
I haven't really posted in this forum but I want to know what many of you recommend I do this summer. I'm going to USC beginning in August and will be off till then(I just retired from my current job since I got into USC a few weeks back). Right now, I'm leaning towards wanting to become an orthopaedic surgeon. I know it is a very competitive residency to get into and want to increase my chances/learn more about the field in my time off right now. I know USC has a resident program but do you think any of the professors there would let me get involved in some research there before I'm even an MS1? I would appreciated any advice, especially from those people who are familiar with orthopaedics in southern california. Thanks.

P.S. Is it really true that many orthopaedic surgeons are former athletes?

Research can't hurt. If you have a semi-regular pulse and show up in someone's office willing to help with research, you shouldn't have a problem finding someone willing to take you in.

Regarding ortho, you'd probably get a better feel for the field by shadowing a pod for a while than in the lab.

Regarding former athletes, they are in every field, including ortho. Note that while many orthopods love sports, having an "I'm an athlete and this is the field for me" stance isn't going to get you far these days, especially if the residents/faculty in the programs you rotate at aren't Bruce Jenner types (who may hold some resentment towards the aforementioned mentality).