Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLMD

blah
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much manual dexterity and patience is required to do surgery in orthopedics. I was never a fan of dissecting in anatomy lab and cutting things has never appealed to me. I doubt I have the patience for long intricate surgeries that require great hands. Is there a lot of this in ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

RLMD said:
How much manual dexterity and patience is required to do surgery in orthopedics. I was never a fan of dissecting in anatomy lab and cutting things has never appealed to me. I doubt I have the patience for long intricate surgeries that require great hands. Is there a lot of this in ortho?

Take this with a grain of salt. In "Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science" a Gen Surgery Residency Director was asked who would he prefer, a talented sculptor or a Ph.D. as a resident. Their response was the Ph.D. because he knows they will have the work ethic and personality to try and try again. Although, great dexterity helps, I don't believe it is as important as work ethic.