Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smsc2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a physical disability prevent someone from having a career in Pharmacy? I have read some amazing stories of people with survie disabilities as MD, so it is obviously possible in medicine (MD). Can a minor disability like lets say wearing leg braces, and walking with a slight limp prevent someone from getting into Pharmacy?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can a physical disability prevent someone from having a career in Pharmacy? I have read some amazing stories of people with survie disabilities as MD, some is it obviously possible in medicine (MD). Can a minor disability like lets say wearing leg braces, and walking with a slight limp prevent someone from getting into Pharmacy?
Thanks

I can't imagine why that would be a show-stopper. On paper, one person is as good as the next. In the personal statement, it may be possible to address overcoming the physical challenges, but be careful not to use this handicap as a crutch (forgive my wording, please). And in the face-to-face interview, that's where you can really shine. ;-)

Personally, I don't see that particular disability as holding someone back from anything, except maybe becoming a champion 100-yard dasher.

Best of luck to you. ;-)

Thank you,
I am currently a sophmore in high school intrested in 0-6 programs. I have started my sciences late, because of this I will not be taking physics. I am fine with going to a state school, and taking prepharmacy, and then applying to a 4 year Pharmacy School, however I would love to get into a 0-6 program, it just makes it that much easier. Since I will be applying to colleges next year (2008) I would think I need to start thinking about this now. What are the reasonable stats to be accepted into a 0-6 program?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you,
I am currently a sophmore in high school intrested in 0-6 programs. I have started my sciences late, because of this I will not be taking physics. I am fine with going to a state school, and taking prepharmacy, and then applying to a 4 year Pharmacy School, however I would love to get into a 0-6 program, it just makes it that much easier. Since I will be applying to colleges next year (2008) I would think I need to start thinking about this now. What are the reasonable stats to be accepted into a 0-6 program?
Thanks

Have you checked out the AACP website? http://www.aacp.org/

That's a great place to get familiar with the pharm schools out there, what sort of pre-reqs you'll need, where you might want to apply, things like that. If you check out the section entitled "For Students and Applicants," you should find a lot of good info.

It's a good idea to get familiar with that website. Also, I'd start thinking about where you'd like to attend, and whether or not you want a 0-6 program. You need to consider all the things you'd normally consider- in state vs. out-of-state, pubic vs private, acceptance criteria, cost, etc.

I'm certainly not well-versed in pharm schools; I only know what I've picked up here and what my daughter and I have learned from the websites of the schools of her choice. However, I'm getting pretty good at the "Parent Of College Age Kid" role........ It's good you're looking into this early, and hanging around here should garner you lots of good info.

I wish you the best of luck! ;-)

Can a physical disability prevent someone from having a career in Pharmacy? I have read some amazing stories of people with survie disabilities as MD, so it is obviously possible in medicine (MD). Can a minor disability like lets say wearing leg braces, and walking with a slight limp prevent someone from getting into Pharmacy?
Thanks

Not to seem callous, but doesn't this question only apply if you have said disablility? If you do, would you let it keep you out? I can't say that I have a disability, but I can say that I've had challenges. I get to pick and choose my limitations. The only trouble you would have with such a disability would be if you let it keep you from acheiving your goals. Whether that is MD/DO/PharmD or wherever you morphing interests take you over the next 2-8 years.

Not to seem callous, but doesn't this question only apply if you have said disablility? If you do, would you let it keep you out? I can't say that I have a disability, but I can say that I've had challenges. I get to pick and choose my limitations. The only trouble you would have with such a disability would be if you let it keep you from acheiving your goals. Whether that is MD/DO/PharmD or wherever you morphing interests take you over the next 2-8 years.

I would NOT stop my goal of becoming a MD/DO/PharmD if I was told I could not do it, just because of my disability if that is what you are asking. I simply asked the question to get a view point on what current prepharmacy students thought of the matter.
Thanks

I would NOT stop my goal of becoming a MD/DO/PharmD if I was told I could not do it, just because of my disability if that is what you are asking. I simply asked the question to get a view point on what current prepharmacy students thought of the matter.
Thanks

As long as you have that mindset, then no, you won't have any problems getting in. The exceptional stories of this person with that disability overcoming all odds to do ..... are out there. As long as you've got the determination to make yours one of those stories you'll succeed.

I don't believe a mobile disability (ie wheelchair) would be a limitation. On the other hand being legally blind would hamper being able to verify visually drugs etc.

as a microbiologist that worked in a clinical lab, the limit oddly enough is if you are color blind, then you have to be able to demonstrate an alternative way of telling the difference between media and colonies. It wasn't an all or nothing limitation for I was told someone that was able to tell the shades of plates to know the difference (even though they are stamped with the type on them.)

I just don't see a disability limiting anyone if you can demonstrate the ability to do something. For example if you get a job doing lifting, the pre physical makes you lift say 50 pounds and carry it 10 feet or whatever.

Best of luck to you. BTW albany college of pharmacy is a 0-6 program. UMKC is a 1-5

it seems wrong to keep those with a disability out. if you ask me, they are the ones most sensitive to other's needs and will make excellent MD/PharmD/DOs.

I've worked in retail for the past six years, and the disability you mentioned would not be a problem in this area of pharmacy. Most of my pharmacists are "tethered" to the counter all day checking prescriptions. I've known two that worked through broken legs and sprained ankles with no problems whatsoever. To chime in with earlier posts, I would think the only disabilities that would disrupt a career in pharmacy would be those relating to vision and possibly hearing. If you haven't already, volunteer at a local pharmacy to get a feel for it and see what you think.
As far as schools, Creighton University in Nebraska offers an online Pharm D program with summer labs. Possibly a more convenient form of study for someone with physical challenges.
Good luck to you. :luck:

Thank you for all the replies,
Yes, I have already started to volunter at the hospital, and I am enjoying it. I could only see myself practicing in either NY, NJ, PA, or CA. All of these states seem to have a number of Pharmacy schools. I have noticed that NY has three (3) 0-6 programs, is this true? I am intrested in these, especialy St. John's. I know that every application differs, and acedemics are not everything. I will have pretty of volunter hours at a hospital/pharmacy, and many letters of recomendations, however can someone tell me what reasonable stats are for that school, or even LIU. (Long Island University)
Thanks again

Anyone out there with any info on these programs?
Thanks

Yes, I have already started to volunter at the hospital, and I am enjoying it. I could only see myself practicing in either NY, NJ, PA, or CA. All of these states seem to have a number of Pharmacy schools. I have noticed that NY has three (3) 0-6 programs, is this true? I am intrested in these, especialy St. John's. I know that every application differs, and acedemics are not everything. I will have pretty of volunter hours at a hospital/pharmacy, and many letters of recomendations, however can someone tell me what reasonable stats are for that school, or even LIU. (Long Island University)
Thanks again

Once again, have you checked out the AACP website? They list the stats of recent classes.

Once again, have you checked out the AACP website? They list the stats of recent classes.
Yes, I have checked the website, however I was hoping people that are in the program now, or possibly have completed the program at those schools to give me some insight, however the site is very useful. I have looked over the site, but can not find where it shows stats.. maybe you could point me in the right direction?
Thanks

You need to bounce around on that site. I'll c/p from my post #4:

That's a great place to get familiar with the pharm schools out there, what sort of pre-reqs you'll need, where you might want to apply, things like that. If you check out the section entitled "For Students and Applicants," you should find a lot of good info.

Concerning Teledo, if I am out of state, should I just forget about getting accepted into their 0-6 Pharmacy program?
Thanks

Thanks again

you do know that you don't have to practice in the state for which you go to school right?

you do know that you don't have to practice in the state for which you go to school right?
I know that, however doesn't the school you go to prepare you for licensing exams in that state? I wonder about Teledo, from what I have read they have pretty nice facilities, and most important a 0-6 program right out of high school. I am also wondering is it a good college eviorment? I have also heard that it is nearly impossible to get accepted if you are not a Ohio resident, is there any truth to this?
Thanks

I know with UCHSC they clearly outline what disabilities are and are not compatible with their program in their supplementary application (which is not available currently). If I remember correctly the main things they focus on is the ability to manipulate objects with yours hands efficiently and vision.

You could ask the programs that you are interested in what their individual policy is. I would assume though as long as you can use your hands and can see you should be fine.

I've worked in retail for the past six years, and the disability you mentioned would not be a problem in this area of pharmacy. Most of my pharmacists are "tethered" to the counter all day checking prescriptions. I've known two that worked through broken legs and sprained ankles with no problems whatsoever. To chime in with earlier posts, I would think the only disabilities that would disrupt a career in pharmacy would be those relating to vision and possibly hearing. If you haven't already, volunteer at a local pharmacy to get a feel for it and see what you think. As far as schools, Creighton University in Nebraska offers an online Pharm D program with summer labs. Possibly a more convenient form of study for someone with physical challenges.
Good luck to you. :luck:

Speaking from experience here: having a hearing impairment does create a challenge in the (pharmacy) workplace, but I wouldn't consider it "disrupting" to a career (especially with all of the technology that's available these days). I agree with Farmercyst - determination is 90% of the battle.

I know with UCHSC they clearly outline what disabilities are and are not compatible with their program in their supplementary application (which is not available currently). If I remember correctly the main things they focus on is the ability to manipulate objects with yours hands efficiently and vision.

You could ask the programs that you are interested in what their individual policy is. I would assume though as long as you can use your hands and can see you should be fine.

Western is also a school of I am thinking about attending, unfortunately they are not a 0-6 program. I understand however, they do not have any limitation standards, can someone confirm this? I know my disability is very minor and it will not be a problem. Any info on 0-6 programs is still appreciated.
Thanks

Western is also a school of I am thinking about attending, unfortunately they are not a 0-6 program. I understand however, they do not have any limitation standards, can someone confirm this? I know my disability is very minor and it will not be a problem. Any info on 0-6 programs is still appreciated.
Thanks

To get 0-6 info, the best resource is the AACP search function, it lists the 0-6 schools if you use that as your limiting criteria. You do need to go to the individual school pages to verify nothing has changed. It's time consuming, but it'll serve you better if you do it than if I do it for you. Beside you may learn something by browsing the pages that I wouldn't bring up if I only concentrated on 0-6's