Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erblaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO who did a DO residency in EM 6 years ago. I am sick of seeing the nonacute patients that I deal with on a daily basis and I am really interested in rads. I did not do well on the COMLEX (25% for a 3 parts:() but I scored 80% on my written ER boards. What are my chances of getting into a rads residency? I was looking to apply to both MD and DO residencies. What is my best course of action so I can get a spot (or is this just a pipedream with my scores?)

Members don't see this ad.

what were your step 1 and 2 scores? any research? any publications?

They were in the 25%. I am not sure of the exact score and I have thrown away the letters. I did no other research or publications. I have great LOR's but they are from ER physicians. I am guessing my only way to get in would be because of my work expierence and doing well on my specialty boards. This is also a drawback due to funding.
My tests scores were as low as they were because I was immature at the time and did not take them seriously. I just wanted to pass and therefore that's what I did. Looking back, that was very stupid but I can't do anything about it now. I was just hoping that PD's would be able to see past the scores and recognize that I am much more mature and that I am not as much of a liability to the program because I have been exposed to rads on a daily basis since I started work.

Members don't see this ad :)
all three parts. Sorry for the misspelling

To be honest I think you are in for an uphill battle. Though I am only a resident, I am well aware of the large number of very qualified applicants looking to score a rads residency that would probably be viewed in a more favorable light by PDs for numerous reasons (board scores, research, and no funding issues). However, I am not saying to give up on your dreams, if you really feel rads would be a better career fit I would recommend networking with anyone you can. Are you employed at an institution with a rads residency?....the rads community is pretty small and who you know can really make a huge difference in landing a residency spot. Hope I didn't take the wind out of your sails, but it is important to be realistic about this, don't give up and try to network it is definitely not likely but not impossible.