questionable osteopathic residency match stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurotrancer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that in 2002, only 70% of osteopathic medical students matched for PGY-1 residencies. Has anyone else seen this statistic? That just can't be right! There's got to be some complication there...

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table2_2002.pdf

What would the other 30% be doing after they graduate? Why didn't they get residencies? I always thought that everyone who graduated from a U.S. medical school gets a residency. Period.

Is this a misconception on my part?

Thanks!

Bevan

Members don't see this ad.

This is purely a guess

BUT

maybe the other 30 percent matched in an allopathic residency instead of an osteopathic residency (or vice versa)

Remember, since the DO match is before the MD match, if you match DO, they pull you out of the MD match.

But again, this is purely a guess - someone please either confirm OR correct me.

I don't think the NRMP includes osteopathic residencies. If that is the case, I imagine that the 30% who applied to an MD residency but didn't match complete osteopathic residencies. That wouldn't include the DOs who only applied to osteopathic programs in the first place.

Also, as group_theory said, if you match DO, you get pulled out of the MD match. That certainly skews the stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I know a Yale grad who didn't match but ended up with a surgery residency through the scramble for open spots after the match. Plenty of spots are still unmatched after the match. Every US grad can get a spot somewhere!

Originally posted by DrMom
That certainly skews the stats.

Don't you mean skoo? :D

Of course, Fenrezz! How could I forget! :eek:

But the rest of the SDNers wouldn't understand. ;)

sorry, OSU inside joke, guys
d@mn statistics class!

What would the other 30% be doing after they graduate?

This number also does not include those who "signed out" of the match without officially withdrawing their names from the list....Unfortuntately, this was the last year you are able to do this.

Those 30% of students you mentioned are maybe doing an internship/TY program (osteo or allo) before applying to a PGY-2 program. Also, programs like PM&R, gas, and radiology accept students as PGY-2 only.