Questions about applying/reqs/grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCS86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am in the process of getting my grades back and I got C's this semester in neurobio, physics, and anthropology, still waiting on calculus grade. (I've had a bad Jr. year with illness in my family) Can I bring my gpa to 3.5 by senior year(including summer classes).It's like a 3.00 now -when should I apply? I have not yet taken orgo, physics part 2, or MCAT yet. Also , should I take a more advanced class in neurobiology/retakw physics I to prove I can handle the material? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you go to google and search gpa calculator, you can enter in the number of credit hours and grades for those classes in a spread sheet. I suggest you figure out how many A's you need to get your gpa up to 3.5. My sophomore year my gpa was 3.3 and after 3 semesters (summer + junior) of getting at least 3.7, I have pulled my gpa to a cumulative 3.55, science about 3.6.

Hey all, I am in the process of getting my grades back and I got C's this semester in neurobio, physics, and anthropology, still waiting on calculus grade. (I've had a bad Jr. year with illness in my family) Can I bring my gpa to 3.5 by senior year(including summer classes).It's like a 3.00 now -when should I apply? I have not yet taken orgo, physics part 2, or MCAT yet. Also , should I take a more advanced class in neurobiology/retakw physics I to prove I can handle the material? Your input is greatly appreciated.

You better do something to prove you can handle the advanced coursework. Straight Cs does not a doctor make.

... I got C's this semester in neurobio, physics, and anthropology, still waiting on calculus grade.... I have not yet taken orgo, physics part 2, or MCAT yet... Your input is greatly appreciated.

You asked for input, so I'll give you mine. You need like two solid years of nothing but A's. It doesn't really matter what classes you take, but you need to make incredibly good grades for an extended period of time in order to prove that you can handle a decent course load. Good applicants just don't make 3 C's or more in a semester. Do this:

1) Evaluate why you aren't making good grades
2) Formulate a plan to make better grades
3) Sacrifice everything if you have to to prove that you can do the work

Otherwise, you are going to have a lousy chance to get into med school.