questions about applying to HPSP

Started by Aegis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aegis

Primary Care and Aerospace
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm pretty sure I want to sign up with HPSP with either the AF or navy. I just took the MCAT in april and got a 30, my GPA is a 3.7. I was talking with an Army recruiter a while back and he told me that all I needed was a 29 and a 3.5 to be automatically accepted to the program without having an acceptance from a med school. Is this true for the AF and Navy too, or just the army? Or was this guy pulling my leg? If it is true that I can apply to HPSP now without yet having been accepted does anyone know when the first board meets? I've also been trying to contact the AF and Navy, but noone returns my calls. Does anyone know a good recruiter in the west Michigan area?
 
Hey there,

The navy does give out conditional acceptances. I received my scholarship before I was accepted to a medical school.

Sorry, I can't help you about recruiters. You could try a local office, but they are more than likely not going to know a thing about it. Those local offices know about getting grunts into the service not officers.
 
aegis said:
So I'm pretty sure I want to sign up with HPSP with either the AF or navy. I just took the MCAT in april and got a 30, my GPA is a 3.7. I was talking with an Army recruiter a while back and he told me that all I needed was a 29 and a 3.5 to be automatically accepted to the program without having an acceptance from a med school. Is this true for the AF and Navy too, or just the army? Or was this guy pulling my leg? If it is true that I can apply to HPSP now without yet having been accepted does anyone know when the first board meets? I've also been trying to contact the AF and Navy, but noone returns my calls. Does anyone know a good recruiter in the west Michigan area?


He was not pulling your leg. The Army feels that with a 3.5 GPA and a 29 MCAT, you are sure to get in SOMEWHERE. And yes, you can apply now without having been accepted yet. In fact, I'd recommend it. The board meets several times a year. Try http://healthcare.goarmy.com/contact/recrloca.htm to find a recruiter for your area. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You CANNOT apply for the AF HPSP scholarship until you've been accepted somewhere. The AF is a bastion of efficiency. 😛 The selection board doesn't want to waste time on you until you're accepted somewhere.
 
Heeed! said:
You CANNOT apply for the AF HPSP scholarship until you've been accepted somewhere. The AF is a bastion of efficiency. 😛 The selection board doesn't want to waste time on you until you're accepted somewhere.

I was going to ask you how you could call the Air Force a bastion of efficiency with a straight face, then I saw the smiley 😀
 
Heeed! said:
I guess MoosePilots don't have a whole lot to do. 500+ posts in 2 months! WTFO???? Not much going on, eh?

Hahaha

No, it's all about what you choose to use your time for. After the MCAT, I had all sorts of extra time. I'm going to be using it volunteering for the Red Cross, but they're taking their time getting an assignment for me, so I've been hanging out on here.

A bunch of those posts were while I was TDY to Andrews, flying cargo around for the big wigs 🙂