Questions about bringing undergrad textbooks for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davattic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be moving out of state to attend medical school very soon, and I wonder if I should bring my undergrad textbooks (biochem, o. chem, genetics, physics..etc) with me? Do you think they will be useful in med school or is this just a waste of time and space?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be moving out of state to attend medical school very soon, and I wonder if I should bring my undergrad textbooks (biochem, o. chem, genetics, physics..etc) with me? Do you think they will be useful in med school or is this just a waste of time and space?

This has been asked many many times on SDN so you should have done a search. Additionally, the allo board is for topics of interest to allo med students, not for premeds to get access to allo med students.

College textbooks are not useful in med school, except as door jambs, to prop open windows, to level wobbly tables, or to kill bugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
College textbooks are not useful in med school, except as door jambs, to prop open windows, to level wobbly tables, or to kill bugs.

Lippincott's biochem book is useful for Texas roaches, OP. Just so you know.

i still have mine but did not open them once in 2 yrs. (still haven't opened a few of my med school textbooks either - i guarantee i'm not alone in this.) better sell them before new editions come out!

Additionally, the allo board is for topics of interest to allo med students, not for premeds to get access to allo med students.

pre-meds have also penetrated many resident forums. there are a lot of "i'm sorry, can you explain what you're talking about" from "senior member" pre-meds with 10,000 posts. and to think i didn't even consider becoming a dr. until about 5 years after i graduated.

Thanks for all your inputs! I guess I won't be taking my textbooks with me..:D

Additionally, the allo board is for topics of interest to allo med students, not for premeds to get access to allo med students.

I disagree. I posted my question specifically here in the allo forum to ask current medical students. My question could have not been answered by premeds who have NOT experienced medical education firsthand and thus would not have been able to assess the usefulness of undergrad textbooks in med school.

I start med school in two months, and I'm worried if this is a kind of support I would get from upperclassmen. Such hostility...:(

I disagree. I posted my question specifically here in the allo forum to ask current medical students. ...(

Again the purpose of this board is not to give people access to current medical students, it's to discuss topics of interest for current medical students. Says so at the top of the screen (I'm not being hostile -- you could have gotten your answer by doing a quick search since you are the umpteenth person to ask this exact question on SDN anyhow, and did so in the wrong board). What books to bring from undergrad is not a topic of interest to folks already in med school - they will have already made this decision. So the fact that these are people who have knowledge you desire is moot. Those allo med students who are looking to give advice to folks not yet in allo med school are free to frequent the premed boards where these topics belong (and many of us do, quite regularly).

The problem is that if you open up the allo board to questions from premeds, the allo board quickly will get overrun with premed topics, since there are many more premeds, and allo students are always a better resource on med school topics. So each board has its purpose, and this one is for topics of interest to current med students while pre-allo is for future med students. Similarly high school students are given their own board so pre-allo doesn't get overrun by 15 year olds. And so on.

The question is really for the pre-allo board There are plenty of med students and residents who brows that forum too and would readily answer the question.

OP, L2D said it best.

And actually, come to think of it, L2D is a fantastically helpful individual here on SDN.

Medstudents have also penetrated many resident forums...

Fixed it for you.

The fact is that every topic is different and it's better to look at what the thread is about rather than who's posting it.

This board has really become overrun with premed related threads lately.

Happens every summer -- the MS0's are starting to get antsy about next year and try to jump to the allo board for insight. I think the better answer to this is if more current med students would periodically peruse pre-allo and offer some help, rather than have the onslaught brought here. You always want to fight a war in someone else's country rather than your own.

Happens every summer -- the MS0's are starting to get antsy about next year and try to jump to the allo board for insight. I think the better answer to this is if more current med students would periodically peruse pre-allo and offer some help, rather than have the onslaught brought here. You always want to fight a war in someone else's country rather than your own.

Well, I resemble that remark, but I guess there are far more dire crimes to be committed here on SDN besides trying to get a little advice / reassurance in one forum instead of another.

You won't be saying that this time next year.

You really won't be saying that next year becuase you'll be the one who tells the premed filth to gtfo of here. Well, actually, no you won't. It will probably still be the same 2-3 people who do it every year.

For those who do not wish to spend time and energy offering advice to an MS0 on an "allo" forum is understandable. However, the OP left no question as to what this thread was in reference to. If you're not interested in giving first hand advice, just bc the question was asked on an "allo" forum, then don't bother reading the thread.

This, for most of us, is a scary, life changing situation. And many want to make sure they give their all and prepare, for this crazy ride, appropriately. Why would you advise someone go to into a room and ask a whole bunch of pre-med students if their undergrad text books helped them in the first two years of med school? That doesn't make sense.

You won't be saying that this time next year.

I'd get far more irritated at people in my position right now trying to tell you current medical students how to think or what to do -- not people who are just asking for opinions on undergrad textbooks.

Allo students do read the premed boards and answer questions. This is one of those questions that can go either way, but you'd get a more than adequate answer in pre-allo/pre-do.

I'm just in anatomy now and I don't see ANY use for my textbooks already. Seriously, none. I have a biochem guide with a slight focus on medical stuff but the only reason i could imagine using it would be for a different chart. You'll probably go out and buy every book they recommend and then use 2 of them.

Don't.

Undergrad books/notes are totally useless...I would even say notes from other medical schools are useless (I brought my smp notes with me to me new medical school) bc each school will emphasize their own concepts and for the most part each school is proficient at teaching the basic/generally accepted concepts.

Overall books in general in medical school arent too helpful in most cases (except when you re class notes are just plain bad..). The books I found most helpful were First Aid and BRS during 1st year and 2nd year.:thumbup:

Other than that just memorize you re class notes and do practice questions.