Questions about gap year jobs in med school interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

raindropdroptop1

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I'm currently deciding between different jobs offers for clinical research positions during my gap year. One of my offers is in a research center that is pretty prestigious/well known, while the others are with smaller research studies working directly with the physicians/PIs. All of these are great opportunities, but I think I would be a better fit in the work environment and much happier overall with the smaller research studies.

I was wondering how significant the "content" for gap year job matters for med school interviews, and if the name and prestige of the research will help me. What do they specifically ask about during med school interviews about gap year jobs?
 
Hello everyone!

I'm currently deciding between different jobs offers for clinical research positions during my gap year. One of my offers is in a research center that is pretty prestigious/well known, while the others are with smaller research studies working directly with the physicians/PIs. All of these are great opportunities, but I think I would be a better fit in the work environment and much happier overall with the smaller research studies.

I was wondering how significant the "content" for gap year job matters for med school interviews, and if the name and prestige of the research will help me. What do they specifically ask about during med school interviews about gap year jobs?
Do what makes you happy.
 
Hello everyone!

I'm currently deciding between different jobs offers for clinical research positions during my gap year. One of my offers is in a research center that is pretty prestigious/well known, while the others are with smaller research studies working directly with the physicians/PIs. All of these are great opportunities, but I think I would be a better fit in the work environment and much happier overall with the smaller research studies.

I was wondering how significant the "content" for gap year job matters for med school interviews, and if the name and prestige of the research will help me. What do they specifically ask about during med school interviews about gap year jobs?

I taught English abroad during a gap year and did absolutely nothing medically related during that gap year. Only one of my 10 interviews did the question "why didn't you do anything medically related" come up. I ended up being accepted to that school, so in my limited experience it really has not mattered/even come up in interviews.