927ss

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I was wondering is it possible to get into med school or rather are the chances the same is you go to a junior college rather than starting at a big university?

I am starting my BA at the moment and there is no way I can get into a big university. I had some family issues my sophmore year of high school so my grades weren't so hot. try like c's and one D. Anyway I cannot go on to a university will my chances be less to get into med school because I went to a JC.

Anyway thanks,

astrolux

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
CA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
Personally, I find it impossible to speculate how going to a JC affected impressions of my application. It certainly didn't get me into an Ivy League but I got some good interviews and I did get accepted. I didn't do so well in high school and so I had to go to JC, as it turns out, it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I try not to contemplate how many schools shafted me because I went a different route. Just do well, that's way more important, and don't worry about stuff you can't influence. There will be opportunities to explain why you went where you did...etc.

quanct

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status
I think there are some schools (BU?) that do not accept pre-reqs taken at a JC.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
do a search through mdapps and check out which med schools have accepted students from JC. alot of med schools specify that you dont require to have gone a traditional 4 year university, but their statistics of matriculants usually goes against that. There are definitely a few out there, but will be hard to find and will be an uphill battle compared to the traditional applicant, i would think.