Questions about JC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

927ss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering is it possible to get into med school or rather are the chances the same is you go to a junior college rather than starting at a big university?

I am starting my BA at the moment and there is no way I can get into a big university. I had some family issues my sophmore year of high school so my grades weren't so hot. try like c's and one D. Anyway I cannot go on to a university will my chances be less to get into med school because I went to a JC.

Anyway thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I find it impossible to speculate how going to a JC affected impressions of my application. It certainly didn't get me into an Ivy League but I got some good interviews and I did get accepted. I didn't do so well in high school and so I had to go to JC, as it turns out, it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I try not to contemplate how many schools shafted me because I went a different route. Just do well, that's way more important, and don't worry about stuff you can't influence. There will be opportunities to explain why you went where you did...etc.

I think there are some schools (BU?) that do not accept pre-reqs taken at a JC.

do a search through mdapps and check out which med schools have accepted students from JC. alot of med schools specify that you dont require to have gone a traditional 4 year university, but their statistics of matriculants usually goes against that. There are definitely a few out there, but will be hard to find and will be an uphill battle compared to the traditional applicant, i would think.