Quantcast

BCPM credits worth more in JC compared to university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delilah1106

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi all,

I'll be applying to medical school in a couple of years and I had some concerns regarding the differences in credits assigned to BCPM courses at my junior college versus my university. I started off at a junior college and performed poorly in a few BCPM courses and each were worth 5 units--the labs and classes were lumped together and one letter grade was earned for both. After transferring to a university, I've been getting mostly A's in my BCPM courses, however, they are worth less. For example, my biology course was only worth 3 units and the lab was separate and worth 1.

My question is, when AMCAS calculates my BCPM GPA, will my poor grades in JC worth 5 units outweigh my higher grades at the university that are worth less units? I completed about half of my BCPM courses at the JC and have finished/am working on the rest at the university. Thanks!

Side note: My GPA at the JC was a 3.1, I transferred to a university as a bioengineer and graduated with a 3.51. I am now pursuing a second bachelors in molecular cell biology--I considered doing a postbac but the second bachelors was a better fit for me and my situation.