questions about KCOM rotations!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laboholic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about KCOM 3rd/4th year rotations. I know cost of living in Kville is very low. On the other hand, you can expect to move your last 2 years. Does anyone know how this works? Do you move to a core city and rotate through different hospitals, or a single hospital? Do most people have to move multiple times to different cities? I expect that cost of living will be much higher your last 2 years since you will probably be living in a large city.

I am trying to decide if how much benefit it would be to go to a school with local rotations vs a school like KCOM.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

laboholic said:
I have a question about KCOM 3rd/4th year rotations. I know cost of living in Kville is very low. On the other hand, you can expect to move your last 2 years. Does anyone know how this works? Do you move to a core city and rotate through different hospitals, or a single hospital? Do most people have to move multiple times to different cities? I expect that cost of living will be much higher your last 2 years since you will probably be living in a large city.

I am trying to decide if how much benefit it would be to go to a school with local rotations vs a school like KCOM.

Thanks a lot!
Laboholic,

We undergo a lottery during the month of December of our 2nd year, where we put in our top 6 choices for rotation sites/regions, then find out a week later about our placement. Our rotations are all set up for us, and there are a variety of places to choose from: rural, suburban, urban. The only region that has you rotate through different hospitals month by month is Arizona. (The students are advised to choose their residence according to the most equidistant spot from all their hospitals, so it's not like you're moving each month.) Most of the other sites have you stay in one hospital for your core rotations. Here is the clinical rotations website for more info on hospitals and sites: http://www.kcom.edu/academia/Rotations/ClinicalRotations-Site-Info.htm .

As for cost of living going up during the clinical years, it's definitely something to consider if you're debating between the NJ sites versus one of the MO or OH sites.

Any other KCOMers out there, feel free to add/correct. =)

Good luck with your decision!

You are compensated with your loans if you choose to go to a more costlier city. If you choose to go to NJ as opposed to Mid Missouri, you will be allowed to borrow more money for the cost of living difference.

Lindsay
MSI