Questions about Programs (PsyD, PhD, MSW), specifically the MSPP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych789

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I’m feeling a little lost, and I’m hoping someone can help me out. I would ideally like to become a psychologist because I feel it would be both rewarding and challenging. However, now I’m struggling to figure out which program is for me. I did some undergrad research and while I certainly love to read research and find it valuable, I don’t think years of research is for me. A PsyD felt like the best option for me. Now I would love to stay in the Boston area due to family reasons, so I started to look into the MSPP. I really liked that at the MSPP I would get to start interning right away, and I loved that there is a neuropsych focus. However, I realize that their APA internship match rates are not spectacular, so I’m very worried about finishing the program but then not being able to get an internship.

Now I know there are other threads on the SDN, and I’ve read basically all of them. Some say to not even think about going to the MSPP, while others say it is very well respected in Boston and that the professors are amazing and the placement sites are great. However, it is VERY expensive, and I don’t want to feel limited if I go there and have trouble getting an APA accredited internship. I’m basically looking to get more opinions on the MSPP and maybe other options for my future. Part of me wonders if it’s better for me to get an MSW at respected school like Boston College or Boston University and just forgot about the PsyD. Another part of me wonders if I should wait and try to get some more research experience and apply to PhD programs. Although, again I’m really not sure if this is what I want to do.

Also just to give you a little bit of more information about me. I have a 3.78 GPA from a small liberal arts college, 2 years of research experience working with a developmental psychology professor (I was co-authored on two poster presentations that were presented at a conference), experience working in a psychiatric clinic in Africa, experience volunteering in a hospital, a leader in Relay for Life at my college, experience as a coordinator in a student-led teaching program where we taught fifth graders about the environment, and time spent volunteering in a social protection training program in Africa. Right now I am volunteering at a hospice and working in fundraising/development at a small nonprofit that is devoted to mental health. I also spend part of my time working in a psychiatrist’s office where I often find him articles and occasionally write short literature reviews and help with presentations, as well as administrative work. My GRE scores are not fantastic (Q:152 and V:157) but not terrible.

So sorry for such a long introduction, but I’m looking for any advice I can get about programs in general but specifically the MSPP and their neuropsych specialization. If you don’t think this school is a good option, any ideas on MSWs in Boston or getting into a PhD program? Thank you all so much! Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I live in the Boston area and would not recommend MSPP. They are currently accepting enormous cohorts of students (incoming class sizes around 100). Their students whom I've met seem to feel that it is hard to get individualized attention and to negotiate the administrative system. I also think that, while the school tries to maintain good relationships with training sites in the area, they don't have a lot of oversight at what is happening at each of those placements. Some students I've spoken to have had pretty miserable practicum experiences, and it didn't seem like the school did anything about those. They are starting to encourage students to obtain APA internships (previously they had steered students toward subverting the entire APPIC system), which is good, but I don't know that there's a lot of support for students as they apply to these internships.

I think MSPP has a useful alumni network in the area, especially when it comes to private practice psychologists and university counseling centers. I just worry about the future of Boston healthcare with so many psychologists entering the market each year. At some point, it will become as bad as CA and NYC. You can't really put the blame for that anywhere but MSPP, as they take in more students than all the other Boston programs combined.

I live in the Boston area and would not recommend MSPP. They are currently accepting enormous cohorts of students (incoming class sizes around 100). Their students whom I've met seem to feel that it is hard to get individualized attention and to negotiate the administrative system. I also think that, while the school tries to maintain good relationships with training sites in the area, they don't have a lot of oversight at what is happening at each of those placements. Some students I've spoken to have had pretty miserable practicum experiences, and it didn't seem like the school did anything about those. They are starting to encourage students to obtain APA internships (previously they had steered students toward subverting the entire APPIC system), which is good, but I don't know that there's a lot of support for students as they apply to these internships.

I think MSPP has a useful alumni network in the area, especially when it comes to private practice psychologists and university counseling centers. I just worry about the future of Boston healthcare with so many psychologists entering the market each year. At some point, it will become as bad as CA and NYC. You can't really put the blame for that anywhere but MSPP, as they take in more students than all the other Boston programs combined.

:wow:

Wow, just...wow. And I agree--given how many folks like the New England area in general, and Boston in particular, if you're churning out that many graduates each year (plus the people relocating to the area), it's only a matter of time before it becomes over-saturated...if it's not already at that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
:wow:

Wow, just...wow. And I agree--given how many folks like the New England area in general, and Boston in particular, if you're churning out that many graduates each year (plus the people relocating to the area), it's only a matter of time before it becomes over-saturated...if it's not already at that point.

Yeah, it unfortunately pretty much already is. I finished up the whole job search thing and started at a new position a couple months ago. It was not uncommon to hear that the places where I interviewed received anywhere from 45 to 100 applications. Granted, those at the upper end of this range were generalist clinical positions that were well advertised, but still.

Hello everyone,

So I’m feeling a little lost, and I’m hoping someone can help me out. I would ideally like to become a psychologist because I feel it would be both rewarding and challenging. However, now I’m struggling to figure out which program is for me. I did some undergrad research and while I certainly love to read research and find it valuable, I don’t think years of research is for me. A PsyD felt like the best option for me. Now I would love to stay in the Boston area due to family reasons, so I started to look into the MSPP. I really liked that at the MSPP I would get to start interning right away, and I loved that there is a neuropsych focus. However, I realize that their APA internship match rates are not spectacular, so I’m very worried about finishing the program but then not being able to get an internship.

Now I know there are other threads on the SDN, and I’ve read basically all of them. Some say to not even think about going to the MSPP, while others say it is very well respected in Boston and that the professors are amazing and the placement sites are great. However, it is VERY expensive, and I don’t want to feel limited if I go there and have trouble getting an APA accredited internship. I’m basically looking to get more opinions on the MSPP and maybe other options for my future. Part of me wonders if it’s better for me to get an MSW at respected school like Boston College or Boston University and just forgot about the PsyD. Another part of me wonders if I should wait and try to get some more research experience and apply to PhD programs. Although, again I’m really not sure if this is what I want to do.

Also just to give you a little bit of more information about me. I have a 3.78 GPA from a small liberal arts college, 2 years of research experience working with a developmental psychology professor (I was co-authored on two poster presentations that were presented at a conference), experience working in a psychiatric clinic in Africa, experience volunteering in a hospital, a leader in Relay for Life at my college, experience as a coordinator in a student-led teaching program where we taught fifth graders about the environment, and time spent volunteering in a social protection training program in Africa. Right now I am volunteering at a hospice and working in fundraising/development at a small nonprofit that is devoted to mental health. I also spend part of my time working in a psychiatrist’s office where I often find him articles and occasionally write short literature reviews and help with presentations, as well as administrative work. My GRE scores are not fantastic (Q:152 and V:157) but not terrible.

So sorry for such a long introduction, but I’m looking for any advice I can get about programs in general but specifically the MSPP and their neuropsych specialization. If you don’t think this school is a good option, any ideas on MSWs in Boston or getting into a PhD program? Thank you all so much! Any advice is appreciated.
I would think you have a good chance at getting into a funded PhD program. If not, then look at the better PsyD programs. You might get some funding at one of those too.

• I always hear about psyd programs being diploma mills, and try to take it with a grain of salt. But a COHORT of 100?!!?!?! That's enormous for an entire psyd program with a few attached MA programs.
  • I would advise staying away from anything like that.
  • I am also very against any geographical restrictions.
  • IME, Boston salaries are insufficient. I was offered a nice position at a great place, but the money wasn't there. Granted, I am a high earner.

• IME, Boston salaries are insufficient. I was offered a nice position at a great place, but the money wasn't there. Granted, I am a high earner.
If someone is willing to sacrifice on one or more of the following: location/hours/lifestyle…then it is more doable. I ran the numbers bc I was being recruited by one of the AMCs, but it was too much of a compromise in work/life balance bc of the added cost of living.

As for MSPP…ugh, that place just keeps getting worse and worse. I was curious about the program (10+ yrs ago)…until I did a bit of digging. SDN for psych didn't exist back then, so I had to call around and eventually I asked a Boston friend about the location/campus; it was a glorified office park. He called me to make sure he had the right address because it was that bad. The resources for students were nonexistent, opportunities to collaborate with other dept didn't exist (as it is free-standing), funding was "you take loans out", and the red flags just kept multiplying.

Another point to add is that the general population won't know that school. I went to a major university PsyD program and the nationwide reputation and name recognition of the school has been helpful in building trust and opening doors.

Just as an addendum to this thread, MSPP is in the process of changing their name to William James College. I believe they want to drop the "School of Professional Psychology" title because people associate that with the degree mill mentality. That being said, the practices at this school are just as bad as those at the schools they are trying to distance themselves from.

Hello everyone,

You seem to have a strong background and could probably get into a funded PhD program. That is the only doctoral option that I would recommend. It would be hard enough to live in Boston on a psychologist salary, much less with a huge loan payments. You could look at the research component as giving you excellent scientific literacy for practice, and for paying the bills. Of course, in your applications, you would need to focus on your enthusiasm for research....

However, my main concern for you is that you want to stay in Boston. It is virtually a certainty that the APA-accredited PhD/PsyD grad school/internship/postdoc process will require you to move at some point. If you want to stay in the same place, especially a highly competitive area like Boston, another mental health degree would be a better option. If you want to do therapy with adults, a MSW would allow you to do that. If you are interested in the med side of things, Psych Nurse Practitioner is a great option. Psychiatry is also good, but you would most likely have to move for residency. If you are interested in testing with kids, School Psych is a great option. I am geographically restricted in another large competitive urban area and have pangs of jealousy whenever I peruse job ads and see how many MSW/NP/School Psych jobs there are for every one psychologist job. To explore further, I would recommend searching for mental health jobs on USA Jobs (VA) and other engines like Indeed.com, and see how many pop up in the Boston area in each field. If you want to stay in one place, MSW/NP/School Psych may be better options than psychology.

Last edited: