questions about residency matches -- help really needed

Started by accu94672
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

accu94672

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would be grateful if someone here can answer the following questions, or at least offer feedback from an experience. It would be helpful if people would respond by something more than 'yes or no' answers.

The faculty in my school don't have any knowledge in this and many of my classmates are pretty clueless. I even contacted some prospective programs and they only gave out generic responses. I would like serious replies only, no sarcasms or jokes.

1) For the residencies participating in Match, do they rank ALL applicants? If not, do they rank ALL applicants that have been interviewed?

2) At times, there are quite a bit of open-positions after the Match results. For long are these positions open? Are they open until their first contact from an umatched applicant? Are they open until they get contacted by a certain amount of people so that they can choose from them?

3) Also, sometimes after the Match results, there are even open positions in programs of high quality. Generally, how difficult is it to get one of these?

4) I noticed that some big-name hospitals don't have quality dental residencies and some of them even go unmatched. Again, generally speaking, how difficult is it to get into one of them?

5) To how many programs should an applicant generally apply?

6) Most programs require 3 letters of rec, but is a letter from the Dean absolutely required?

7) What are the names of some programs that don't receive much interests from applicants?

8) Many of my classmates appear to be applying to programs near their hometown or in the vicinity of the school. ( Maybe they're being realistic, as most of them want to do AEGD/GPR and it might not make sense to go somewhere far for a 1 yr program )

For me, my list of preferred programs are located coast-to-coast, with many of them in states that I never even set a foot in. I have a driver's license and know how to drive, but I haven't even droven in about 7 yrs. I lived in cities my entire life and these programs are located in suburban areas.
Does it seem as if I'm doing my program selections the "right" way?

9) My parents expressed disapproval at every single place I'm thinking of applying. What they dislike the most are the locations of some of them. This is a strange question for some but, how much parental influence should I allow in the selection of programs?

10) After completing a residency, is there a strong likelihood of ending up near the location of the residency? I know that anyone could choose to go anywhere but I want to know if people *usually* end up working or opening a clinic near their residency locations.

11) I often hear that cities have too many dentists and hence the prospects are poor for new dentists. But then again, a small town might not have much dentists but there would be a drastically smaller population in such an area. Most dental offices in large cities even charge considerably more for comparative procedures. So my last question is: how exactly would being in a city ( like LA, NYC, LV, Raleigh, Philly, Boston, SF, etc ) be generally a poor choice for taking up employment or opening a practice?

Thanks much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
accu94672 said:
I would be grateful if someone here can answer the following questions, or at least offer feedback from an experience. It would be helpful if people would respond by something more than 'yes or no' answers.

The faculty in my school don't have any knowledge in this and many of my classmates are pretty clueless. I even contacted some prospective programs and they only gave out generic responses. I would like serious replies only, no sarcasms or jokes.

1) For the residencies participating in Match, do they rank ALL applicants? If not, do they rank ALL applicants that have been interviewed?

1A: No, they do not rank all applicants they have interviewed. It depends on the program. At ours, they rank about 25 of the 40 they end up interviewing.

accu94672 said:
2) At times, there are quite a bit of open-positions after the Match results. For long are these positions open? Are they open until their first contact from an umatched applicant? Are they open until they get contacted by a certain amount of people so that they can choose from them?

2A. Many times the program with open spots will check within their own program for any unmatched students, or they will contact schools where they have personal relationships with the faculty and ask if there were any umatched students. I have heard of some places having another round of interviews for unmatched spots, but usually they will take from a person who was interviewed during the process.

accu94672 said:
3) Also, sometimes after the Match results, there are even open positions in programs of high quality. Generally, how difficult is it to get one of these?

3A: See answer to 2.

accu94672 said:
4) I noticed that some big-name hospitals don't have quality dental residencies and some of them even go unmatched. Again, generally speaking, how difficult is it to get into one of them?

4A. Again see answer to 2, and call specific programs to inquire about number of applicants versus spots. That can give you an idea of how competitive it is.

accu94672 said:
5) To how many programs should an applicant generally apply?

5A. That depends on how strong your stats are. If you have strong boards and rank, I think around 7-8ish is a good number. Remember, there are some places you will visit and not like much. If you feel weaker, I would go for more. This also depends on the specific specialty. More competitive ones like ortho/oral surgery would require you to apply to as many as possible.

accu94672 said:
6) Most programs require 3 letters of rec, but is a letter from the Dean absolutely required?

6A: Depends on the programs, I had some who held to that pretty tightly (but it was from the chair of the program I was applying to within the dental school, not the dean). Others won't care. Most schools will automatically have your dean write you a letter, as ours did. He just looks at your stats etc and writes a pretty generic letter. (unless they know you personally, of course)


accu94672 said:
7) What are the names of some programs that don't receive much interests from applicants?

7A: Depends on which specialty you are talking about. Do research via pass and contact schools.
accu94672 said:
8) Many of my classmates appear to be applying to programs near their hometown or in the vicinity of the school. ( Maybe they're being realistic, as most of them want to do AEGD/GPR and it might not make sense to go somewhere far for a 1 yr program )

For me, my list of preferred programs are located coast-to-coast, with many of them in states that I never even set a foot in. I have a driver's license and know how to drive, but I haven't even droven in about 7 yrs. I lived in cities my entire life and these programs are located in suburban areas.
Does it seem as if I'm doing my program selections the "right" way?

8A. Only you know if you are choosing for the right reasons. It doesn't make a difference if you go to a program half the country away from where you want to practice. It may make it more of a pain traveling home to look for practices, but it doesn't make it harder getting a job. To some people geography is impt and they want to live in specific cities. Others, like me, just want to go to the strongest program regardless of location. Only you can answer this one.

accu94672 said:
9) My parents expressed disapproval at every single place I'm thinking of applying. What they dislike the most are the locations of some of them. This is a strange question for some but, how much parental influence should I allow in the selection of programs?

9A. How old are you? Old enough to be an adult and make adult decisions. Parent's always have an opinion but you are a grown person and need to make grown-up decisions. They aren't the ones going to the program, you are. You make the decision. By the way, if you get interviews, never tell any program what you just asked.

accu94672 said:
10) After completing a residency, is there a strong likelihood of ending up near the location of the residency? I know that anyone could choose to go anywhere but I want to know if people *usually* end up working or opening a clinic near their residency locations.

10A. As I said on another question, it doesn't really matter. Logistically it's easier but you can find a job anywhere. I think the last 20 or so residents from our program all went to different states.


accu94672 said:
11) I often hear that cities have too many dentists and hence the prospects are poor for new dentists. But then again, a small town might not have much dentists but there would be a drastically smaller population in such an area. Most dental offices in large cities even charge considerably more for comparative procedures. So my last question is: how exactly would being in a city ( like LA, NYC, LV, Raleigh, Philly, Boston, SF, etc ) be generally a poor choice for taking up employment or opening a practice?

11A: Best left to someone who has specifically looked in a city, but limited area, higher number of dds/patient pool, more competitive, less pay starting out. Simple supply and demand.