Questions about STRAP (Army Reserves)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

napoleondynamite

Keepin' it real yo
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here know much/anything about STRAP?? Here is what I understand, PLEASE tell me if I have been misinformed:

-For every 1 year I recieve a stipend, I would owe 2 years to the RESERVES (no active duty requirement..unless [until?] I get called to active duty)
-Should I be called to active duty, the max time I could serve would be NINETY DAYS every two years of active duty. Is this true??? This is the part I'm most skeptical about..but if it's true, I'm all over this deal.
-I would get approximately 50k in student loan repayment and around 1600-1900/month in stipend.
-2 weeks a year and 1 weekend a month.

Ok, so what are the downsides? I am someone who has always wanted to join. I have read the horror stories on this board, and am not completely deterred. I primarily would like to serve, secondarily would like some extra cash during residency. But if I could only get called up for 90 days at a time, that doesn't sound too bad.

Another question is, will the military have any control over where I live post-residency?? Could they dictate that I'm attached to a reserve unit in a particular area, thus restricting my job-hunting ability..or is it somewhat flexible that way?

If anyone has any personal experience with STRAP, I would definitely be interested in your input. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

-Should I be called to active duty, the max time I could serve would be NINETY DAYS every two years of active duty. Is this true??? This is the part I'm most skeptical about..but if it's true, I'm all over this deal.

I suggest that you read the regulations regarding activating reserve units very carefully. As I recall, they read something like, "a reserve unit can only be called to active duty for 90 days unless the president declares a [blank]". I'm too lazy to look it up myself, and besides, I'm not the one that really needs to know.

I'm about 99% sure that reservists can get called to AD for significantly longer than 90 days. Sounds like someone told you the truth, but not the whole truth.

The 90 day thing is not happening. Once you are done with training and you are in pay-back mode, all bets are off. It's 15 months at a time, like everybody else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a member of the ARNG in a medical battalion, and none of the physicians that I work with were deployed for more than 90 days UNLESS they volunteered to do so. With that being said, two have volunteered for multiple deployments. My understanding is that it is 90 days boots on the ground (i.e. in theater, not counting train up or re-deployment) and the 2 years sounds right (although I think it may be as short as 18 months between deployments). As a med student they can't deploy me, and I can't be deployed until after completing PGY-2. My understanding it that the time commitment for STRAP doesn't start until after completion of RESIDENCY, not med school, and it is 2 for 1 for every year that you take STRAP. I recommend that if you join, don't take STRAP initially until you decide whether or not you like it.

I am a member of the ARNG in a medical battalion, and none of the physicians that I work with were deployed for more than 90 days UNLESS they volunteered to do so. With that being said, two have volunteered for multiple deployments. My understanding is that it is 90 days boots on the ground (i.e. in theater, not counting train up or re-deployment) and the 2 years sounds right (although I think it may be as short as 18 months between deployments). As a med student they can't deploy me, and I can't be deployed until after completing PGY-2. My understanding it that the time commitment for STRAP doesn't start until after completion of RESIDENCY, not med school, and it is 2 for 1 for every year that you take STRAP. I recommend that if you join, don't take STRAP initially until you decide whether or not you like it.

How are drills? Do you get sufficient time to study?

I utilize my weekends pretty heavily. I dont know if my grades would survive giving up one weekend a month...

My third year, I worked with a locum tenens trauma guy who was STRAP. He was locum tenens because he couldn't get a job with a practice, because he was being deployed for long durations. He said that the 90-days/2 year thing is a joke, and he was taken for a ride, as well. He has not volunteered for these deployments.

If you are single, and want to make some money as a locum tenens plus get the excitement/variety of a deployment, might be an option to consider. This guy has five kids, and works for months at a time far away.

Point is: Reality = greater than 90 days.

Everyone has their own opinions about any program, you might like it.

How are drills? Do you get sufficient time to study?

I utilize my weekends pretty heavily. I dont know if my grades would survive giving up one weekend a month...

Yes - studying is essentially all I do. Occasionally I'll help out with the physicals. The commander's opinion is that we need the time to make sure we graduate.

I have been processing residents into the Army Reserve under the STRAP program for over ten years now. STRAP assists residents by giving them $32,000.00 of additional income per year and $250,000.00 in medical school loan repayment. It is broken down in six month increments and payback is 1 year for every six months used or a portion thereof. The resident does NOT do any military duty while in residency. Only physicians are entitled to the 90 day boots on ground policy. The Army Reserve does not tell you where your duty station will be, it is determined on where you choose to live. Then they will find the nearest unit to where you live.

Reactions: 1 user