Questions about the HPSP and army benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I just want to know what benefits exactly is a dentist doing the HPSP program is entitled to during dental school and active duty.

I looked at this website(http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/dentist/benefits.html) and have a few questions or just wanted to make sure I am correct on a few things...

1) Doing the HPSP I will receive $2,000/month during dental school, all of my dental school paid for, and a $20,000 signing bonus?
2)In addition to the HPSP and 20,000 signing bonus, will I also get this 75,000 bonus?

DENTAL OFFICER ACCESSION BONUS
Receive a sign-on bonus of $75,000, paid in a lump sum at your first duty station. Dental students in their final year of school may apply for this bonus.

3)Can anyone further elaborate on these 4 types of specialty pay and whether or not you can get it in addition to the benefits from the HPSP and dental officer accession bonus?

SPECIALTY PAY
As an active Army Dental Corps officer, you may be eligible for one or more of the four types of Specialty Pay. Each is paid in addition to your base pay.

VARIABLE SPECIAL PAY
Paid in monthly increments, this program provides $3,000 to $12,000 per year, based on length of service and annual rates.

BOARD CERTIFICATION PAY
Board-certified dentists are eligible to receive $2,500 to $6,000 per year. This monthly Specialty Pay is based on length of service and annual rates.

DENTAL ADDITIONAL SPECIAL PAY
You may qualify to receive an annual sum of $4,000 to $15,000, based on creditable service.

DENTAL OFFICER MULTI-YEAR RETENTION BONUS
Based on your specialty and the length of your contract; this Special Pay can range from $13,000 to $50,000 each year.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't get the 75K accession bonus..that would only be for already graduated (non-scholarship) dentists coming in. You also would not be eligible for the multi-year retention bonus until after you have served your initial obligation. You would get this if you resign a contract (for example for signing on for an additional 3 years you might get a retention bonus of 30K a year. the longer you sign on for, the higher it is). From what I know you would be eligible for the variable special pay, board certification pay, and additional special pay.

Last edited:
I see. I came across a site that has tables with how much you get for variable special pay, board certification pay, and additional special pay but I can't tell which pay grade I would be in for each...
http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/special-pay-for-dental-officers.html

But either way the pay ranges would be...
Variable special pay(monthly):$583-$1000
Board certification pay(monthly):$200-$500
Additional special pay(annual):$10,000-15,000

So just from that, coming out of dental school at a minimum I would get $10,783/year for those three special pays. Plus $96,000 from the monthly stipends during 4 years of dental school.

How much do you earn as a dentist for base salary in the army, is it the $46,000 for an officer or more?
Would I also get a Basic Housing Allowance?
Is there any other money I would get as a dentist in the military?
Also, after the 4 years is up for your commitment, do you have to join the reserves? Do you ever have to do anything for the military again after those 4 years? Do you continue to get any benefits after the 4 years is up?

As dentist you'll probably be O-3 rank - check a military pay chart for the exact amount. When you are active duty, your pay will include: Basic pay, BAH, BAS (basic allowance for subsistence), VSP, BCP, ASP. BAH is based on location - also can check that online. Officers get like 250$/month BAS. HPSP benefits are explained somewhere online - I believe you will be an O1, but only be entitled to a stipend, plus full tuition/feels paid. Stipend of like $2000 some per month. Owe 4 years. No accession bonus if you do HPSP, at least for first 4 years. Then maybe a retention bonus. No idea how much.