Questions about TUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AKS57

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into TUCOM but I had a couple questions regarding the school. How are the clinical rotations set up? Are the students happy with their clinical rotations? Are there any problems getting their rotations, especially because there are no hospitals affiliated directly to TUCOM? I only ask because I just interviewed at Western U/COMP and I felt they had a very structured clinical rotation process, and I'm not quite sure how TUCOM's was. (I very well may not have heard due to my focus on the interview) Finally do TUCOM students recieve any clinical experience during the first two years of school? If anyone can reply I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on getting into Touro! I got low waitlisted and am very envious of you!

I have heard both good and bad things about Touro's rotations, and the fact that your rotations wont start for a few years should most certainly alleviate any concerns you have... The rotations are set up basically the same as any other school except for the fact that TUCOM does not have it own medical center/teaching hospital. Instead there are numerous hospitals (that range from well established teaching facilites to not as well established teaching facilites, go to http://209.209.34.25/webdocs/admissions/affiliates.htm for a list of hospitals affiliated with Touro) where Touro students do their rotations. Most of the students that I have spoken with have been happy with their rotations. Some qualms include the fact that you may not stay in the bay area/northern california for all of your rotations (which can easily be viewed as "Cool, i get to go see a differnt part of the country for some many months") and that you may not have the opportunity to meet with your classmates on a regular basis to discuss, review, and explore the cases that you have been working (which has the upside of possibly making you a more independent and diligent doc).

Currently there is very little patient care exposure in the first two years, especially compared to lets say Western or UC Davis. I believe Touro is working on establishing a mobile clinic, and I know that they have a super cool program called "Pregnancy Partners" where you get to shadow a mother to be through pregancy and delivery! How cool! If I am so lucky as to get in this year (unlikely) or offered a spot for next year (*fingers crossed and doing everything in my power to make thishappen*) I want to establish a student run clinic like the one I was a part of during undergrad that provided free primary care to the community (clinicatepati.ucdavis.edu)

Please remember this is all info that I have gathered from my research although I wish I could speak from experience!

Have you chosen where you will be going to school in the fall?? If not Touro, can I change my name to yours and have your spot?

I hope I was able to help and if there is anything else I can do, please just ask!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Speaking of rotations, they have some spots open for 4th years to do an ER rotation at Highland Hospital in Oakland/Alameda. WHAA HOO! Can you say adrenaline rush here I come!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked TUCOM's updated affiliation list and was surprised how many hospitals they've added in the last few months.

maysqrd, I've heard the name Highland Hospital a couple of times but since I'm not from the area, what can you tell me? I'm strongly interested in EM and definitely into adrenaline rushes....

Macken,

Highland Hospital (it's proper name is Alameda County Medical Center - Highland Campus) is one of the two trauma centers of Alameda county (the other is Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley). It is in the heart of oakland, was built ages ago, but has been recently renovated with a cool new mirror-glass facade. The ER has been wicked busy... to get in, these cool magnetically locked doors are opened for you by a triage nurse or security guard to reveal a long hallway with patients (half of which are restrained, the other half are still c-spined to the backboard they were brought in on) up and down both sides and a huge dry erase board where all the commotion is regulated. TLC's Trauma: Life and Death in the ER was taped there, and only code three traffic is acceptable to give radio reports for, at which time you are told which resus room you will go to, otherwise, you park your patient outside the magnetic doors until he/she is properly registered. It wasnt unusual to see like three yellow stryker gurneys outside the doors of the ER, which means there was at least one more inside, and that you had a crazy long wait ahead of you. Highland is notorious for selecting the very best residents, and does get its fair share of GSWs and the such. Writing about it make me miss my time with my ambulance and I can't wait to rotate at all the cool hospitals in Alameda County.

Touro has a cool list of hospitals that it is affiliated with and I hope I get the chance to call myself a touro student so I can rotate at: Doctor's San Pablo, one the area's only burn centers, David Grant Medical Center, the area's only hospital with a barametic chamber; Children's Hospital of Oakland; California Pacific Medical Center; Lake Mead Hosp; San Joaquin General; etc etc...

Brian Enriquez
Westmed Ambulance unit 702
[email protected]

Thanks for the info, Brian! Who knows where we'll all wind up doing third-years at.....

Originally posted by glorytaker
It was nice meeting you at lunch and I hope to see you again in August (who knows, maybe I'll end up being part of your class after this exam block).:rolleyes:

Oh, yeah, I changed my Decepticon symbol. Does it look better than the one before?

It was nice seeing you at lunch too(although you're referring to Maysqrd)--and your lecture hall during my interview! The Decepticon is cool.