Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm confused...if I do the WWAMI program my degree will say University of Washington right (opposed to saying WWAMI or something weird)?

On UW's website they list WWAMI and the MD program separately...which is weird. I don't like how they try and separate out the WWAMI students from the in state students.

Anyways...does anyone know if being a WWAMI student is just as good as being a UW med student? I know UW is a top 5 school...but is it still a top 5 if you go through the wwami program?

Feb 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I have shadowed several physicians that went through the WWAMI program and there is no difference. Pretty sure that the WWAMI program is a big part of why UW gets such high rankings in primary care every year.

OP
U
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I have shadowed several physicians that went through the WWAMI program and there is no difference. Pretty sure that the WWAMI program is a big part of why UW gets such high rankings in primary care every year.
Ok thanks! I have been trying to find out for awhile and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone.

It's cool that UW is #1 in primary, but it's a lot more impressive to me that they rank #6 in research and hang with the top ivy's

Nov 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Ok thanks! I have been trying to find out for awhile and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone.

It's cool that UW is #1 in primary, but it's a lot more impressive to me that they rank #6 in research and hang with the top ivy's
I agree. I think that UW is a great school all around, and I agree with the above that the WWAMI is part of that. Especially for 3rd and 4th year WWAMI is awesome because you have so many more opportunities to see medicine in places besides just a large academic setting, I think that's pretty valuable...

theanine

Dec 12, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm confused...if I do the WWAMI program my degree will say University of Washington right (opposed to saying WWAMI or something weird)?
WWAMI just means that the UW is the state medical school for all five states, but it's still the same school. 1st years do their first year in their home state, with Washington having 3 locations: Pullman (combined with Idaho), Spokane, and Seattle. Then during clinical rotations, everyone goes through sites around the WWAMI region. From what I have heard, non-Seattle sites are better for hands-on learning (smaller hospitals, clinics, and groups) and less-jaded clinicians. Some lectures are also video-casted live to everyone if there is a special lecturer or whatnot. Everyone is still a part of the UWSOM MD program.

ruiner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah a resident on my floor was from Montanna (wow I suck at spelling, very unsure if that's right) and went through WWAMI and everything says UW. It's just to make it clear what it incorporates I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.