questions about writing secion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

to-man

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm here looking for some feedback on the MCAT writing scores. Well, I have taken MCAT 3 lovely times and got P, O..... AND "L" (most recent one...pretty horrifying, I know) on the writing section. As much as how "unimportant" the writing section is commonly perceived to be, I suspect that its value would have increased subtantially to the medical schools when it hits bottom low like this. Yet, I scored a 9 on the verbal section this time and apparently did ok on writings previously. So, I'm just wondering what people think about how bad this "L" will hurt my overall application profile.
I would greatlly apprecaite any comments. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by to-man
I'm here looking for some feedback on the MCAT writing scores. Well, I have taken MCAT 3 lovely times and got P, O..... AND "L" (most recent one...pretty horrifying, I know) on the writing section. As much as how "unimportant" the writing section is commonly perceived to be, I suspect that its value would have increased subtantially to the medical schools when it hits bottom low like this. Yet, I scored a 9 on the verbal section this time and apparently did ok on writings previously. So, I'm just wondering what people think about how bad this "L" will hurt my overall application profile.
I would greatlly apprecaite any comments. Thanks.

It means nothing. I took the MCAT in April 2002, bombed the writing section, I think I got a K? I don't even remember. Not once was it brought up in any interviews I went to, I did fine in the admissions process. Really, it means nothing. :) Take Care. Paul

so....why do we have to waste our time doing it? I mean, it takes a pretty big shift of focus to get into Writing Mode and then back into Multiple Choice Mode. I think we should rebel or something...or, since I'm not taking it again, someone else should rebel. :D

Originally posted by soonerpillow
so....why do we have to waste our time doing it? I mean, it takes a pretty big shift of focus to get into Writing Mode and then back into Multiple Choice Mode. I think we should rebel or something...or, since I'm not taking it again, someone else should rebel. :D

One of my friends did, he spent the entire time writing how the section was pointless and reflected nothing that is applicable in writing in general, let alone medicine. He got an X I think? Some weird letter that means he did something wrong. He is in medical school, so again it really doesn't matter. :) Take Care. Paul

Members don't see this ad :)
i dunno how in sam hill i ended up with an M on writing. but i've been consoled by people saying that, as long as your personal statement is credible and decently written, the writing section means almost nothing. some schools throw out the score completely and just look at numbers.

well, i guess we'll be finding out shortly, won't we. +pissed+

Whoa WHoa Whoa!!!!!! That was writing sample time.... i though it was a short nap time to get you good and rested for the important parts of the test. Opps! My bad...

Originally posted by dustin04ag
Whoa WHoa Whoa!!!!!! That was writing sample time.... i though it was a short nap time to get you good and rested for the important parts of the test. Opps! My bad...

glad to see i'm not the only one...i took a nice 5 min nap after the first essay...maybe that's why i got an M? i just met someone else at my school who got a 12 verbal and L WS..what gives? o well, the nap definitely helped me on the bio section, i was exhausted...

I heard the writing section was there to delay when you take the bio section. In other words, they want to squeeze every last moment they can so that you'll forget the things you memorized the night before. I think this is a poor explanation, though.