Questions/Advice About Going The Non-Traditional Route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpflugradt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been considering the idea of going to back to school for a post-bacc in premed studies for a few years now but never pulled the trigger because I just felt I was too old and it was too late but as the older & older I get, the more I want to purse a MD. I'm about to turn 29 in June and I don't really have a science background, I went to college for a finance degree and graduated with a 3.5 GPA. I get that I probably wouldn't get in med-school until i'm 31/32 and that it's another 4 years after that so is it even worth pursing at this point? Is it possible to do the post-bacc program while still working full-time and doing all the volunteer/shadowing or would it probably take longer to complete? Does anyone in their early 30's have any advice?

Also, does anyone in Illinois have any experience with any post-bacc programs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to be a physician or not?
Assuming a 3 yr residency after med school, you can be 38/39 and be a doctor or you can be 38/39 and not be one. Age doesn't matter. Decide on what you're going to do.

A post- bac program isn't necessary (can be expensive) unless you want guidance from advisors and extra stuff. You can easily accomplish the same thing by doing a DIY post-bac at your local University for an affordable price. All you need are good grades in the pre-reqs, clinical/non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, and a decent MCAT.

29 isn't old bruh...

Reactions: 1 users
That's a very good point! I appreciate it.

For the DIY post-bac, are there any benefits from the advisors in post-bac programs that you'd miss out on (letters of rec, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the University matter much if you are doing a DIY post-bacc? I was looking at decent universities in Chicago for an actual post-bacc program but Purdue has a campus in their system that is extremely close to where I live (not their main campus everyone knows).

Does the University matter much if you are doing a DIY post-bacc? I was looking at decent universities in Chicago for an actual post-bacc program but Purdue has a campus in their system that is extremely close to where I live (not their main campus everyone knows).

IMO, as long as it's an established and accredited school, not a new institution, you're good.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! My only issue now is I need a university that offers night classes cuz I can't afford to not work full-time.

I decided to be a vet when I was 26, non science background, 0 vet experience. Managed to finished ~60 credit hours of science prereqs, gained 2000h volunteer and paid vet experience, and 1500+ hours research experience within 3 years and am applying this cycle.

I did my DIY post bacc in UIC, remained part-time working (~30h per week). If you're thinking of doing a DIY post bacc in Chicago, feel free to contact me. I know it's still different, but I feel you, and you can do it!

You can work full-time and do post-bacc full-time (don't go crazy though) provided you're able to work weird shifts (e.g. weekends only, 2nd shift, etc.). It'll be really hard to do it the other way around. If you can get a clinical job then you can use that as your clinical experience while earning a paycheck.