Questions and Advice about Shadowing/Clinical Volunteer/ECs etc. #premedissues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnFe

Paranoid Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello pre-meds and med students!

I just have some questions. If you have a similar experience or know some info, please don't hesitate to answer them. Thanks in advance!
PS: I did my "search" function but can't really find a definite answer.

I just want to say that I'm really grateful and appreciative that you are reading my post and hopefully can give me great advice!

Okay here I go:

-I did some shadowing at a hospital I volunteered at (2009-2010 with ~30 hours ER/ICU/Orthopedic doc). You see, it is about 3 years old, should I include these? Also, I already forgot the names of these doctors...I'm barely starting to look where to shadow at this time...Will this hurt my app?

-I volunteered at an STD/HIV Clinic Center. Does this count as a clinical volunteer? These people are not necessarily sick patients but I administered the HIV testing kits and provided some Sex Ed.

-I will be starting a Clinical Scientist training this July. This training, as far as I know of, has no patient contact but pure laboratory testing (pre and post analytic and diagnosis). Will this still count as clinical experience? This, however, is a great opportunity to "shadow" pathologists and physicians in different specialties.

-Based on what I read about the "EC section" in AMCAS, you have to provide contact info from the places you volunteered at or organizations you were involve in. What if you don't know who's running the place now (most of my ECs are 3 years old!)

-For the most meaningful ECs in the AMCAS section, do you really have to have a strong clinical volunteer/work experience? The 3 things I can think of are my HIV/STD clinic volunteer experience, Microbiologist job and genetics research. Would these suffice?

-Lastly, I don't know if I'm being overly dramatic, being anxious or just plain crazy pre-med. What are your thoughts with my current list of ECs? (From most recent to past) What should I include in my App because I read there are a limit??

List of ECs:
QC/QA Associate Microbiologist - Current - (2013)
Private Tutor in Math/Calculus/Statistics/Biology - ~100 hours (2010-2012)
Microbial Genetics Research No publications - 442 hours (2011-2012)
Pre-Pharmacy Club - 60 hours (2011-2012) <-- should I even include this?
HIV/AIDS Clinic - 60 hours - (2010-2011)
Pharmacy Tech Inpatient Pharmacy - 600 hours - (2010-2011)
Hospital Volunteer - 330 hours (2009-2010)
Associated Students - 45 hours (2009-2010)
Honors Program - 45 hours - (2009-2010)
Phi Theta Kappa - 70 hours - (2009-2010)

-I feel that I lack volunteering. There are "sporadic" volunteer opportunities integrated in the clubs/orgs that I joined. Should I include that too? (There are way too many such as Blood Drive, STD/HIV testing drive, Food drive, relief drive, beach clean up, fundraising, etc)

Sorry for the long post and hopefully you can shed some light!
Again, thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

-I volunteered at an STD/HIV Clinic Center. Does this count as a clinical volunteer? These people are not necessarily sick patients but I administered the HIV testing kits and provided some Sex Ed.

-I will be starting a Clinical Scientist training this July. This training, as far as I know of, has no patient contact but pure laboratory testing (pre and post analytic and diagnosis). Will this still count as clinical experience? This, however, is a great opportunity to "shadow" pathologists and physicians in different specialties.

You're looking good. I'll answer those two.

1. Yes, clinical. You dealt with patients in some capacity.
2. No, not clinical. You won't deal with patients in any capacity. Lab specimens are not patients.

With the neuroticism on display here, you'll do just fine around here ;)

Hello pre-meds and med students!

I just have some questions. If you have a similar experience or know some info, please don't hesitate to answer them. Thanks in advance!
PS: I did my "search" function but can't really find a definite answer.

I just want to say that I'm really grateful and appreciative that you are reading my post and hopefully can give me great advice!

Okay here I go:

-I did some shadowing at a hospital I volunteered at (2009-2010 with ~30 hours ER/ICU/Orthopedic doc). You see, it is about 3 years old, should I include these? Also, I already forgot the names of these doctors...I'm barely starting to look where to shadow at this time...Will this hurt my app?

It shouldn't matter as long as you put some type of contact person. Maybe your volunteer coordinator?

Yes.

No.

-Based on what I read about the "EC section" in AMCAS, you have to provide contact info from the places you volunteered at or organizations you were involve in. What if you don't know who's running the place now (most of my ECs are 3 years old!)

Try your best to fill something out for contact info. I had a similar situation and just looked it up online. I don't think they ever really call references.

-For the most meaningful ECs in the AMCAS section, do you really have to have a strong clinical volunteer/work experience? The 3 things I can think of are my HIV/STD clinic volunteer experience, Microbiologist job and genetics research. Would these suffice?

Your most meaningful activities shouldn't fit some certain criteria. Just list the ones that were literally the most meaningful to you. If those three are it, then you are fine.

-Lastly, I don't know if I'm being overly dramatic, being anxious or just plain crazy pre-med. What are your thoughts with my current list of ECs? (From most recent to past) What should I include in my App because I read there are a limit??

List of ECs:
QC/QA Associate Microbiologist - Current - (2013)
Private Tutor in Math/Calculus/Statistics/Biology - ~100 hours (2010-2012)
Microbial Genetics Research No publications - 442 hours (2011-2012)
Pre-Pharmacy Club - 60 hours (2011-2012) <-- should I even include this?
HIV/AIDS Clinic - 60 hours - (2010-2011)
Pharmacy Tech Inpatient Pharmacy - 600 hours - (2010-2011)
Hospital Volunteer - 330 hours (2009-2010)
Associated Students - 45 hours (2009-2010)
Honors Program - 45 hours - (2009-2010)
Phi Theta Kappa - 70 hours - (2009-2010)

They are great. Maybe something a little more recent would be a good addition.

-I feel that I lack volunteering. There are "sporadic" volunteer opportunities integrated in the clubs/orgs that I joined. Should I include that too? (There are way too many such as Blood Drive, STD/HIV testing drive, Food drive, relief drive, beach clean up, fundraising, etc)

Your not lacking on volunteering if you have over 300 hours.

Sorry for the long post and hopefully you can shed some light!
Again, thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses!
I just want to make my App as strong as possible. :)
I should just breath and just do it.

*shameless bump*