questions and concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nitya2284

Nitya Bandla
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So can anyone tell me a little bit more about the SGU, SABA and Ross medical schools in caribean?

Do they need MCATS? Do they look at MCATS? What is the minimum score they are looking for??

When do you start applying if you wnat to start in the fall 2006?

What are the terms like, 2 years with no summers off or all year round for all three??

Where do you get placed?

Can you be placed into a good residency program, or at a disadvantage because you are at a caribean school..

What are the MCAT and GPA requirements to be a competitive candidate??

Please let me know..it would of so much help

Thanks,
Nitya

Members don't see this ad.

So can anyone tell me a little bit more about the SGU, SABA and Ross medical schools in caribean?

like what specifically do you want to know? there is a lot that can be said about each.

Do they need MCATS? Do they look at MCATS? What is the minimum score they are looking for??

They all req. MCATs. Um, since they require them, im guessing that they look at them. There really is no minimum. but they post their avg. scores on their websites. usually range in the mid 20's

look at their websites.

What are the terms like, 2 years with no summers off or all year round for all three??
god, lloook at the damn websites. sgu has summers off and ross has a trimester system. but its all explained on their site.

Where do you get placed?

huh?

Can you be placed into a good residency program, or at a disadvantage because you are at a caribean school..

usually there is a disadvantage for residency because of the IMG stigma. but you can get a good residency if you are a good student.

to be competitive have above avg. numbers than those in the class. so look at each schools stats.

In general, it seems that you are just looking for second hand info. seriously these questions are REALLY simple and you can find them on the schools website. next time dont be lazy and just look it up.
www.rossmed.edu
www.sgu.edu
also check out www.aucmed.edu, they are also approved by all 50 states.. just browse and read all the info. its first hand and straight to the point... no second hand info that could just be made up on here.

i dont even know why i replied. i some people like me will do anything to get away from studying.

Nitya2284 said:
Hi all,

Saba is located on a very small island (good if you can handle living on a small island because you will have nothing else to do but study) Ross has been known to accept a lot of people and just see who makes it to the USMLE. This means that a lot of people get weeded out. SGU is very very expensive but is considered the best Caribbean school. If you got the money go here, but in the end its still a Caribbean school so if money is an issue look at Ross, AUC, Saba

Ross, AUC, SGU require MCATS, SABA doesnt, but is strongly recommended. There are no minimum score requirements

Because its rolling admissions the earlier you apply the better. So you should apply as soon as possible and your application will be reviewed right away and you will have an answer within a month. September is always the most competitive semester, so if you dont get accepted there, they may move your application to the January pool

Usually 5 semesters, approximately 4 months, with 2 weeks in between or something like that check the website

Where do you get placed?
Clinicals will be in the hospitals the school has affiliations with, again check the net for hospital affiliations

Going to caribbean its more difficult, but if you do well on USMLE's, good LOR's etc etc you may be able to get a more competitive residency like EM, radiology, cardiology etc

Since its caribbean GPA is much lower than US/Canada. I would say 2.6 with good Ec's and LORS, or closer to a 3.0/4.33 with ok EC's. MCAT score requirement will probably depend on GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
richmond_repn said:
Nitya2284 said:
Hi all,

Saba is located on a very small island (good if you can handle living on a small island because you will have nothing else to do but study) Ross has been known to accept a lot of people and just see who makes it to the USMLE. This means that a lot of people get weeded out. SGU is very very expensive but is considered the best Caribbean school. If you got the money go here, but in the end its still a Caribbean school so if money is an issue look at Ross, AUC, Saba

Ross, AUC, SGU require MCATS, SABA doesnt, but is strongly recommended. There are no minimum score requirements

Because its rolling admissions the earlier you apply the better. So you should apply as soon as possible and your application will be reviewed right away and you will have an answer within a month. September is always the most competitive semester, so if you dont get accepted there, they may move your application to the January pool

Usually 5 semesters, approximately 4 months, with 2 weeks in between or something like that check the website

Where do you get placed?
Clinicals will be in the hospitals the school has affiliations with, again check the net for hospital affiliations

Going to caribbean its more difficult, but if you do well on USMLE's, good LOR's etc etc you may be able to get a more competitive residency like EM, radiology, cardiology etc

Since its caribbean GPA is much lower than US/Canada. I would say 2.6 with good Ec's and LORS, or closer to a 3.0/4.33 with ok EC's. MCAT score requirement will probably depend on GPA
That was really nice of you.

Nitya2284 said:
Hi all,

Where do you get placed?

Thanks,
Nitya
As suggested by goldfish85, you need to visit each of the schools' website and research it yourself. If you can't find what you're looking for then feel free to ask. Valuemd.com is also a valueable resource, as mentioned above. Going to a carribean medical school (or any other schools) requires a lot of work on your part so you might as well start getting used to it. Good luck with your quest.

richmond_repn said:
Nitya2284 said:
Hi all,

Where do you get placed?

Thanks everyone, I'll look into the schools and find out the required information so I can start applying soon. I want to start Fall 2006 which means I still have time but I'll start looking into it.