Questions for current optometry students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bluueskies

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, congrats on your achievement of getting into optometry school :)

Looking back, do you feel your OAT score was a direct correlate of your success and preparedness for your optometry program? Also any correlation to Board scores (Part 1)? IMHO, I feel people are ultimately in control of their OD program performance and that there's no strong correlation between OAT and boards.

Also what year or at what point do most students begin taking a prep course for the Boards Part 1?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

I’m not sure how well they correlate, if at all, but I agree with you and believe that everyone is in charge of his or her own performance. For reference, my score on the OAT was okay, but not great (340). My GPA in optometry school is 3.6ish.

Not sure about boards since scores haven’t been released for my Part I yet. Since Part I is a third year exam, most of my classmates began studying about three months prior (January when the exam is mid-March).

I think the important factors are that 1) your school is well-established with a strong program to prepare you for boards, and 2) self-motivation.

Update: Passed boards Part I!

Last edited:
First, congrats on your achievement of getting into optometry school :)

Looking back, do you feel your OAT score was a direct correlate of your success and preparedness for your optometry program? Also any correlation to Board scores (Part 1)? IMHO, I feel people are ultimately in control of their OD program performance and that there's no strong correlation between OAT and boards.

Also what year or at what point do most students begin taking a prep course for the Boards Part 1?

Thanks!

New 3rd year here: Nope, I actually didn't have the "most impressive OAT score (320)" or undergrad stats.... my graduate school GPA was high .. if anything going to graduate school and working full time prepared me more in terms of time management and just plain old maturity. I'm doing quite well (3.4) and I've been pretty involved in things not only in school (clubs, ambassadors, research) but outside of school too... mission trips... marathon running etc. So to answer your question it most definitely is not!

As for NBEO, I think that depends on your study style and strategy.. I know people who passed only studying for 2-3 months... and I know others who studied for 6-8 months. I think a lot of it is 90% self-motivation and dedication.

Last edited: