Questions for those who started at community college!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

queernerd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post here and I am a bit afraid because I feel like an idiot compared to everyone on this website. I am starting community college in the fall and trying to figure out what courses to take that will successfully transfer over to SBU. My mom is an alumni there and a transfer advisor but I wanted to ask you guys your opinions! I know a lot of you guys look down on community college but my parents are not helping me pay for college in any way so I would like to save some money.

So why am I in this forum? This might sound ridiculous already having a specialty in mind but I can't see myself doing anything besides dermatology. I figured I would come here because you guys might have some insight on what it takes to get matched in this specialty. If anyone could answer any of these questions I have, I would be so grateful!!!

-If you went to community college, what courses do you recommend taking there instead of a four year university?
-I know I should be starting volunteer work when I start cc and gaining as much clinical experience as possible, so what would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly believe CC gets a bad rep. I went to CC for several reasons but the first being money. College is expensive and some folks can't afford to go straight to University. If I did it would have been financial suicide for me. Do your best and forget the rest!
If you want to do derm, great! Now show it. Doesn't matter what type of experience it is as long as you can "smell" the patient and speak to the typical day, you are in good shape. The one thing I would suggest is mix it up. Do some emergency medicine, internal, research, etc. Explore other aspects as well. I want to do surgery, but I found out I really like interventional cardiology. So you may be surprised there.

Overall, enjoy your time my friend. Don't stress medical school. There will be a time for you to stress about it. For now, get some hours under your belt and enjoy the free time you have now. You will be surprised how fast that free time is swollowed up.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my first post here and I am a bit afraid because I feel like an idiot compared to everyone on this website. I am starting community college in the fall and trying to figure out what courses to take that will successfully transfer over to SBU. My mom is an alumni there and a transfer advisor but I wanted to ask you guys your opinions! I know a lot of you guys look down on community college but my parents are not helping me pay for college in any way so I would like to save some money.

So why am I in this forum? This might sound ridiculous already having a specialty in mind but I can't see myself doing anything besides dermatology. I figured I would come here because you guys might have some insight on what it takes to get matched in this specialty. If anyone could answer any of these questions I have, I would be so grateful!!!

-If you went to community college, what courses do you recommend taking there instead of a four year university?
-I know I should be starting volunteer work when I start cc and gaining as much clinical experience as possible, so what would you recommend?

Sorry, locking.

You will find better answers to the questions you are asking on the pre-medical forums. Good luck!

Pre-Medical Forums | Student Doctor Network

Status
Not open for further replies.