Questions from a HS Student

Thomato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, SDN!

I am currently a junior in high school, and I am planning on going down the pre-med path in college. I have a few questions. Before them, here’s some background information:

I am graduating from high school in June of 2019. However, I am completing my high school studies sometime—most likely—this December, as I only have to earn one credit in order to meet all of the requirements for graduation. In January of 2019, I am starting classes at a seminary. They are collegiate-level classes, and the credits I earn from them will transfer to the college I attend. I will graduate from the seminary in December of 2019, so the program is about a year in length. In January of 2020, I will be transferring to college, which means that I will have missed the previous fall semester of 2019.

My questions:
  1. Will my having attended the seminary have any bearing on my medical school chances?
  2. Moreover, will I have to mention the seminary on my medical school application? Or is it unrelated?
  3. How will starting at college a semester late affect my pre-med timeline? Will I have to have a heavier course load in order to graduate “on-time” and to compensate for the fall semester that I missed? Or will the missed semester not matter all that much?
I know it probably sounds ridiculous asking these questions, considering I’m still just a teenager. You probably are thinking that I’m too young to even be thinking about this stuff. I’m only asking because my time in high school is dwindling, and I am soon going to be leaving home; I don’t want to attend the seminary thinking that I will be okay, but then eventually find out that I put myself in a bad position in regard to applying to medical school. That would be kind of awful.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this. Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

EDIT: The “seminary” isn't a traditional seminary—I think I mislabeled it. I'm not training to become a clergyman. It’s an institute where I can take college-level classes that study the Bible, theology, etc. in great detail.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Isn't a seminary where you go to learn to be a priest?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused. Isn't a seminary where you go to learn to be a priest?

Or a pastor. Each denomination has their own. Most seminary degrees are graduate degrees though. I’m confused as well.

Sorry, I probably should have been more clear. It’s not a seminary in the sense that I train to become a pastor or priest. It’s a collegiate-level institute where I will take in-depth theological classes, Old and New Testament studies, etc.

I won’t actually be earning a degree from the place. In terms of academics, I’ll only earn credits there that will transfer to the college I attend.

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above poster's thoughts, although I'd like to add a few things. Bear in mind that your seminary courses will affect your GPA, so make sure you are doing well in those. Secondly, depending on what your undergrad degree is in, many of your seminary courses might not apply to your degree. The courses may be accepted by your undergrad institution, but may not be applicable to your degree itself. This is worth checking on with someone at your undergrad. This might affect your graduation date, but as the above poster mentioned, the timing of your graduation really has negligible affect on med school admissions.

1) Bear in mind that your seminary courses will affect your GPA, so make sure you are doing well in those.

2) the timing of your graduation really has negligible affect on med school admissions.
1) To expand further, OP, even if your transferred seminary credit doesn't include a grade when viewed on your university transcript, the grades earned will still affect your med school application GPAs (calculated by the application service by their own rules), because you will be obliged to submit an original transcript from every institution where you matriculated.

2) Agreed. Don't rush it by overloading with credits and endangering your ability to earn As.

You’re doing an internship with a church....it delays you by the time you are there

No one will grant you significant bonus points or take away any....do what makes you happy

You’re doing an internship with a church....it delays you by the time you are there

No one will grant you significant bonus points or take away any....do what makes you happy

Sorry, I probably should have been more clear. It’s not a seminary in the sense that I train to become a pastor or priest. It’s a collegiate-level institute where I will take in-depth theological classes, Old and New Testament studies, etc.

I won’t actually be earning a degree from the place. In terms of academics, I’ll only earn credits there that will transfer to the college I attend.
I'm interested because I've never heard of the seminary education you're talking about. Are you taking these courses because you are very interested in that subject? Or are you being pressured to study this stuff, is it common for people to take these courses? In the long scheme of things it probably doesn't matter as long as you get decent grades.

1) To expand further, OP, even if your transferred seminary credit doesn't include a grade when viewed on your university transcript, the grades earned will still affect your med school application GPAs (calculated by the application service by their own rules), because you will be obliged to submit an original transcript from every institution where you matriculated.

2) Agreed. Don't rush it by overloading with credits and endangering your ability to earn As.
Correct. I was referring to the med school application GPA, but I realize I was a little ambiguous. Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate it very much.

If I were interviewing a potential med student who had that background, I personally would see it as a positive, as it's a unique experience that would make you more memorable. The one caution is that you may want to make it clear that faith is important to you but would not prevent you from providing care to all (in case an interviewer found the experience as a negative). Good luck!

If I were interviewing a potential med student who had that background, I personally would see it as a positive, as it's a unique experience that would make you more memorable. The one caution is that you may want to make it clear that faith is important to you but would not prevent you from providing care to all (in case an interviewer found the experience as a negative). Good luck!

Thank you very much! I appreciate your response.