Questions regarding accreditation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supermn54

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, don't worry, i won't annoy everyone with basic questions regarding how a pharm school acquires accredition. However, i have two questions that hopefully someone out there may have the answer to:
1) I understand that a school has to graduate it's first class in order to meet the final requirement of accreditation but in order for the requirement to be entirely fulfilled, does a certain percentage of that class have to pass the boards? It doesn't make much sense for a school to get accreditation if only 5 graduates can actually practice.

2)From my understanding, all pharmacy schools require a certain amount of pharmacy experience under an intern status. Now, in order to obtain an intern status, you have to be a student at an "accredited" school. How does a new school deal with this? Can a student be an intern if the school as at least a canidate status?

Members don't see this ad.

supermn54 said:
Ok, don't worry, i won't annoy everyone with basic questions regarding how a pharm school acquires accredition. However, i have two questions that hopefully someone out there may have the answer to:
1) I understand that a school has to graduate it's first class in order to meet the final requirement of accreditation but in order for the requirement to be entirely fulfilled, does a certain percentage of that class have to pass the boards? It doesn't make much sense for a school to get accreditation if only 5 graduates can actually practice.

2)From my understanding, all pharmacy schools require a certain amount of pharmacy experience under an intern status. Now, in order to obtain an intern status, you have to be a student at an "accredited" school. How does a new school deal with this? Can a student be an intern if the school as at least a canidate status?
I can answer with experience

There is no set percentage. Of course, they would like to see high numbers.

There is no problem doing this even if the school has pre-candidate status. I got most of my hours in while we were under pre-candidate status.