Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you attend a school that is candidate in California and by the time you graduate if its still not accredited can you get licensed and practice in California?

If you can't, are their states that would allow you to get licensed?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I wouldn't even take my chance on a non-accredited school if I could swing it. It's not worth the risk. Go somewhere that has a great network and a proven set of scores (NAPLEX, MPJE) that can give you support and won't cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's the goal if you want to be a pharmacist.

If you attend a school that is candidate in California and by the time you graduate if its still not accredited can you get licensed and practice in California?

If you can't, are their states that would allow you to get licensed?

I'm going to split hairs between terminologies:

Candidate Status is a "type" of accreditation status (So yes, it is accredited). Meaning, the program was evaluated by the ACPE with a goal, plan, and specific time frame to accomplish said goals / plan. By the time the first graduating class has happened, typically they will receive Regional (or full) accreditation.

However, the risk you are taking is three-fold
1) The program is a start-up degree program that went from an approved blue-print plan. More times than not, they require higher cost to get started.
2) No history or promise of doing well on the NAPLEX/MPJE. It will require years of adjusting the teaching principles to actually get more students to pass.
3) They run the chance of losing their accreditation compared to anyone else. If this happens while your in school, you just wasted time and money for a degree you can't even use.

These are examples of schools that run the risk of shutting down: Programs Currently on Probation

You have over 140 programs in the country. In this new decade, you're better off and highly recommended to apply elsewhere with regional (full) accreditation.