Questions regarding preparation for a PsyD program in clinical/counseling HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychology78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.. This question has been touched on in other threads... But I was unable to find the answers I wanted..

I will be applying to PsyD programs in fall 09.. So I have 2 years in which to prepare myself. As of now my top two choices are Rutgers and Indiana State (along with everyone esle!). My GPA is awesome so my concerns are experience and rec letters.

For someone entering a PsyD program and NOT interested in a PhD.. what types of experience will make me the MOST competitive I can be? I know that research experience is important.. but for a PsyD? Also, I know that experience with clinical populations is important (hotlines, psych ward, etc.), but as someone with little to no relevent work experience prior to this.. what kind of jobs should I look for? Which places would hire someone like me? That is.. with no degree yet and no experience? Are these paid positions or is it strictly volunteer work?

My main concern is that I want to be as absolutely competitive as I can be! I have the GPA checked off.. now what?

Also.. How important is it to have a POI at the PsyD programs I'm considering?

Thanks everyone for all your help! I'm looking forward to this whole process.. J

Members don't see this ad.

So.. This question has been touched on in other threads... But I was unable to find the answers I wanted..

I will be applying to PsyD programs in fall 09.. So I have 2 years in which to prepare myself. As of now my top two choices are Rutgers and Indiana State (along with everyone esle!). My GPA is awesome so my concerns are experience and rec letters.

For someone entering a PsyD program and NOT interested in a PhD.. what types of experience will make me the MOST competitive I can be? I know that research experience is important.. but for a PsyD? Also, I know that experience with clinical populations is important (hotlines, psych ward, etc.), but as someone with little to no relevent work experience prior to this.. what kind of jobs should I look for? Which places would hire someone like me? That is.. with no degree yet and no experience? Are these paid positions or is it strictly volunteer work?

My main concern is that I want to be as absolutely competitive as I can be! I have the GPA checked off.. now what?

Also.. How important is it to have a POI at the PsyD programs I'm considering?

Thanks everyone for all your help! I'm looking forward to this whole process.. J

ok i'll bite even though you're being a bit impatient!

you mentioned it yourself - to be competitive for a psyd program you'll want some clinical experience. look for volunteer positions at suicide hotlines. they will train you so no worries. also, check into technician positions at psych hospitals/units. they normally hire people with psychology classroom experience. i did this as an undergraduate and it was a great experience that gave me something to talk about in my personal statement as well as interview.

as for being paid, you might not receive monetary compensation for your work. we've all done it at some point in time, as it takes 3 steps back to take 4 steps forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you will need clinical experience, volunteered or paid. It is the quality of the experience that counts, not the paycheck. Usually a placement in a position where you are working with the type of clients you want to focus on later is important. If you want to work with the terminally ill, then a hospice would be appropriate. Depression, look for a suicide hotline or rape crisis center for women's issues. You get the idea. This is what kept me from being more competitive at Baylor. Still don't ignore research experience, make sure you get some...

This is where you need to start talking to the faculty in your department. They should help you with locating some opportunities if you approach them correctly and ask nicely.

Mark

Be familiar with the interests of the faculty at both of the institutions you're interested in. And try to clarify your own interests.

You DO need to have done a bit of research even for a PsyD. The Rutgers PsyD is VERY competitive, so having research experience will give you an advantage. Try to get some research experience through working in labs at your school. That will also give your profs a chance to get to know you and your work which should result in better letters of recommendation. The best letters come from people who really know you and believe in you. You won't get that just from being in classes.

Does your dept. offer internships? You could do your hotline/psych ward experiences for credit through internships. You don't actually need to work in the field. Does your dept offer an independent research course? Take that and write a thesis if you have the opportunity. Doing a senior or honor's thesis shows schools that you're committed to scholarship and can do the work. (If I had know the importance of that, I would have done one.)

For preparing yourself I would say the following books are excellent and should answer all your questions:

Getting In: A Step-by-Step Plan for Gaining Admission to Graduate School in Psychology

Insider's Guide to Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology

If your school has a student psychology club, join that and get involved. Become an APA student affiliate and go to conferences if you can. That will help you get to know people who will be able to help you. (I think one of the reasons you haven't gotten more responses is that this question comes up constantly and people are tired of answering it because the answer is always the same.)