Questions to Ask At File Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ReadyBeVet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a file review coming up. I'm trying to make up a list of questions to ask. I figured we could compile a list here from which we could all benefit.

This is what I have so far-

-What were my strengths? weaknesses?
-In what areas should I continue to gain experience?
-What were the statistics for admitted students? How did I stack-up in comparison to these students?
-Were my letters of reference beneficial to my application?
-Was my personal statement effective in addressing how I've come to pursue Veterinary Medicine? (non-traditional student)
-Would evoking the grade-expiration policy be beneficial to me next cycle?
-What would you recommend me do in order to strengthen my application?
-__________________(?)

What else?🙂
 
You might want to hold off on asking about this years' student statistics until you can check the website. I know some reviewers are nice, but I've also been told that "the information is online," and their patience with the review waned.

Also, don't be too hopeful about getting a good answer about your LoR. If you signed that you were not going to view it, they might take that one step further and not tell you whether the LoR's were good, or beneficial.

One thing I was told at one of mine, that was both good and bad news, was how close you were to making a cut off. For MN, I was apparently less than 1 point from an interview. On the one hand, that was really lame, since I almost had it, but on the other, at least I didn't have to fly out there, and compete against people they had already decided were better than me in some ways. So be sure you actually want the answer to that question.

The rest of those seem pretty good- its just about finding out what hurt you, what helped you, and what your next step should be.
 
For my file review at UF, the dean started by asking me what I thought were my strengths and weaknesses in my application, so you may want to do a self evaluation beforehand. You may even want to look at previous class statistics so you can talk about how you saw yourself in comparison with those. And it seems like you already are, but make sure to have all your questions/notes written down. You only have a short time to talk so you don't want to forget anything. Good luck, hope you get some good feedback 🙂:luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a great file review this afternoon. I had many questions answered and received many tips. I really thought my application was much worse than it was. I guess we're our own worst critics.
 
I just emailed CSU about a file review, but is there something on the website I am missing for a phone number or a more specific email rather than just asking admissions how to go about this?
 
I think it was LIS (but might be wrong) but he once mentioned to ask them to list and go into detail the top 5 things to improve/change about your application. And really don't be afraid to push them for details. Also, you can probably tell them ideas you have and ask if they think it's good a idea or not. I had talked about pursuing a master's in one of mine and they strongly advised me not to do it.
 
Bump! Scheduling some file reviews now...anyone have any advice as to how to get the most out of them?

Is now the time to start scheduling these? I'm not sure when to start since I'm on some waitlists. I guess I could schedule them and then cancel if I end up needing to? When do file reviews usually happen?
 
Is now the time to start scheduling these? I'm not sure when to start since I'm on some waitlists. I guess I could schedule them and then cancel if I end up needing to? When do file reviews usually happen?

It depends on the school. Some tell you not to contact them until after April 15th. If they didn't say to contact them after a specific day, you can probably call to set one up any time.
 
A lot of schools allow you to email as well, though don't always expect helpful tips back. CSU does a great file review... Kansas not so much.
 
I think it was LIS (but might be wrong) but he once mentioned to ask them to list and go into detail the top 5 things to improve/change about your application. And really don't be afraid to push them for details. Also, you can probably tell them ideas you have and ask if they think it's good a idea or not. I had talked about pursuing a master's in one of mine and they strongly advised me not to do it.

Wasn't me that gave that advice, but it's good advice so I'll take credit. 🙂

I did a file review after not getting in. It turned out I didn't need to ask many questions, because she literally pulled out my application and went through it from start to finish, commenting as we went.

By the time she got to the end I had a list (TAKE NOTES!) of 7-8 things to improve.

I went home and organized the list by a blend of "what will help most" and "what can I realistically accomplish in the next 9 months" and then I just started marching through the list. Worked great.
 
Wasn't me that gave that advice, but it's good advice so I'll take credit. 🙂

I did a file review after not getting in. It turned out I didn't need to ask many questions, because she literally pulled out my application and went through it from start to finish, commenting as we went.

By the time she got to the end I had a list (TAKE NOTES!) of 7-8 things to improve.

I went home and organized the list by a blend of "what will help most" and "what can I realistically accomplish in the next 9 months" and then I just started marching through the list. Worked great.

Huh. Could have sworn it was you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm okay. The only school who told me was VMRCVM but I'm waitlisted there so we'll see. Thanks!
Maybe e-mail the other schools and ask when they are "open" for file reviews? It couldn't hurt to know why you were rejected, even if you make it off the waitlist!
Wasn't me that gave that advice, but it's good advice so I'll take credit. 🙂

I did a file review after not getting in. It turned out I didn't need to ask many questions, because she literally pulled out my application and went through it from start to finish, commenting as we went.

By the time she got to the end I had a list (TAKE NOTES!) of 7-8 things to improve.

I went home and organized the list by a blend of "what will help most" and "what can I realistically accomplish in the next 9 months" and then I just started marching through the list. Worked great.
I definitely plan on taking notes! I just hope the people I speak with are extremely helpful. Other threads have stories of admissions advisers being less than helpful...I'm hoping I won't run into that.