Questions to Ask of Career Changer Postbac Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MangiaMangia

Reaction score
Looking into postbac programs (and the many threads here), I couldn't find a collective resource of questions that would be good to ask OF a postbac program (to help narrow down choices).

Adding some of the questions I've drummed up, and hoping to hear more that would be helpful:

- Overall cost of program. (Is it a set rate for the program no matter how long you take, or is it a yearly cost? Is it a public or private school? is there instate tuition feasibly?)
- Is the program eligible for financial aid or merit scholarships? (If so, how much?)
- Are student loans applicable?
- Student MCAT performance
- The number of graduates vs. matriculants (which programs weed out a ton of students?)
- Acceptance rate to school (MD, DO, otherwise) from graduated students (not matriculated)
- Deferment options (moving is hard, sometimes you can't get to your program right away)
- Class size (can you stand out?)
- Is it a cohort school, or one that you take classes with undergrads? (this links to community and standing out in the crowd)
- Linkage (it seems the vast majority of schools with linkage have a small opportunity for even qualifying, so I tend not to look at them much, but perhaps I'm wrong.)
- What are the programs or attached hospitals known for (do you already know what field you want to learn more about and is it available as a clinical exprience?)
- Can you even register? (do you recieve priority? are you competing for classes you need to take every semester?)
- Advisement (is it good? are you competing? are the answers pre-bottled?)
- Volunteer, shadowing and research opportunities (will they place you? are they tied to a hospital? do you need to find everything on your own?)
- Community (do you get to know other postbacs? how big is the postbac community? is it competitive or inclusive and mutually driven?)
- Cost of living around the school (remember these costs add up and you haven't even BEGUN med school)
- How difficult are the classes (is it possible this might hinder rather than help? can it lower the GPA you've worked on so hard to make it a financial risk? do you want the challenge to see if it's right for you even so?)
- Prestige (do you care? does it help?) ... from what I've researched prestige never beats a good GPA when it comes to formal postbacs)
- Will you like where you live? (are you in a city? will you have to board? what's the campus like?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this for career changer or record enhancer programs? The questions I would want to ask would be different between the two types