Questions You Wish You Asked Before Choosing A Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CreedThoughts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am going to be meeting with some faculty members and a few students (from all years) at a school (just one final look before I decide where I will be matriculating for sure). I just wanted some insight from students and graduates to gain a sense of the types of questions I should be asking. Since I am not yet in a medical school environment I don't have a full understanding of what is important or not important when choosing a medical school. So, what questions do you think should be asked/is there anything you wish you would have asked prior to matriculating?

Can you also explain your reasoning since I may not fully understand until I have experience with medical school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wish I didn't decline two of my interviews. But oh well, life happens lol.

Reactions: 3 users
1) Are you true P/F for first 2 years?
2) How many weeks for dedicated step 1 prep? If less than 6 weeks, why...honestly why though
3) Do you have standardized exams or in house exams? Why with in house exams must you ask questions on single line minutia from one PowerPoint slide from one lecture?

I guess this turned into things I dislike about my school. Also, no mandatory attendance is huge because sitting in a lecture hall when you're not engaged in a complete waste of time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add:

1. What type of tutoring services are available? Are there any available for anatomy?
2. What is the remediation process like? When are the retakes held?
3. I would also ask the current students how they feel, and what may be some challenges/positives in their honest opinion.
4. What type of support is offered to students of color and/or students from disadvantaged backgrounds? The transition from this standpoint alone can be difficult, and may play a large role in how students handle curriculum etc.
5. I would also ask myself: can I see myself here for the next four years, regardless of if I feel happy or discouraged? I could honestly say yes when it comes to my program, and I would choose it all over again if I could.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Mandatory attendance is a huge thing for me. I'm taking my final class now in my postbacc and there's nothing worse than a lecturer who reads directly from the slides and provides the slides online but insists that you come to class.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd ask each of them what they'd wish they'd known about the school before starting -- May turn up some of the things @The Kraken alludes to

Reactions: 1 user
On the topic of in house generated exams, how big of a deal is that? If a school "doesn't teach for the boards" is that significantly detrimental?

1. Criteria for AOA
2. Third year grading criteria, what percentage gets honors
3. What you get to do during third year (if mostly shadowing stay away)
4. When do you get to take your electives?
5. How good is advising
6. Culture of attendings/hospital

What DOES NOT matter:
1. Preclinical Curriculum, seriously doesn't matter at all, unless it is TBL in which case stay far away
2. Early clinical exposure, even more useless
3. Avg step scores, that test is entirely on you

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Criteria for AOA
5. How good is advising

What DOES NOT matter:
1. Preclinical Curriculum, seriously doesn't matter at all, unless it is TBL in which case stay far away
Is TBL the same thing as a school that emphasis a lot of team work/small group sessions during its classes... but doesn't frame their curriculum that way?

Also -- do you know if it's typical for most schools to throw in "random assignments" or "busy work" as part of third year/clinical grading criteria? A school I'm considering apparently makes their students do a lot of that -- anywhere from 30-40% I think depending on the clerkship.

1. Criteria for AOA
5. How good is advising

What DOES NOT matter:

Does AOA matter that much in terms of matching in competitive specialties? How significant of an accomplishment is it to residency programs?

1. Criteria for AOA
5. How good is advising

What DOES NOT matter:
I agree with everything except the average step scores. It may not be influenced by the MS1/2 curriculum, but I do think the differences in the timing of Step 1 can matter, i.e. before or after clinic year. Having enough protected time to study is also pretty critical.

The MS3/4 clinical portion of medical is an order of magnitude more important than MS1/2 as far as getting a residency you desire. Getting the proper clinical experience, advising, letters, and electives under your belt is crucial. If a school is weak in those regards, I can bet you their match lists will reflect that.

Does AOA matter that much in terms of matching in competitive specialties? How significant of an accomplishment is it to residency programs?
Some more than others. Derm and plastics really like AOA, the other ROAD specialties not as much. It also depends on your med school is. The better regarded the school, the less important AOA is. HMS and Stanford don't even have AOA.

Last edited:
What do you mean in terms of not teaching to the boards would hinder your chances at AOA?
As The Kraken said above, "Why with in house exams must you ask questions on single line minutia from one PowerPoint slide from one lecture?"

In house exams with questions centered around a bunch of PhD's current research studies that aren't even in literature yet but they really want you to know it so you are memorizing tiny little parts of slides that you will never think about again in your medical career, leading to you choosing between:
A) If you want a shot at AOA you better memorize all this garbage that most definitely will not be on step 1 since it isn't even in textbooks yet, therefore wasting time striving to be top of the class when you could've been focused more on board prep
or B) say screw all this dude's research and focus only on step 1 material, still pass your pre-clinical classes but lose any shot at AOA while more focused individually on boards....

This is an exaggerated example, as you will get a mix of mostly board material flavored with each PhD's own taste of what it "really is" in your learning. It's cool to see but when it comes to the absolute titanic amount of info we need to absorb in a matter of weeks lets just focus on what matters for step 1 IMO.

As The Kraken said above, "Why with in house exams must you ask questions on single line minutia from one PowerPoint slide from one lecture?"

In house exams with questions centered around a bunch of PhD's current research studies that aren't even in literature yet but they really want you to know it so you are memorizing tiny little parts of slides that you will never think about again in your medical career, leading to you choosing between:
A) If you want a shot at AOA you better memorize all this garbage that most definitely will not be on step 1 since it isn't even in textbooks yet, therefore wasting time striving to be top of the class when you could've been focused more on board prep
or B) say screw all this dude's research and focus only on step 1 material, still pass your pre-clinical classes but lose any shot at AOA while more focused individually on boards....

This is an exaggerated example, as you will get a mix of mostly board material flavored with each PhD's own taste of what it "really is" in your learning. It's cool to see but when it comes to the absolute titanic amount of info we need to absorb in a matter of weeks lets just focus on what matters for step 1 IMO.

I have been told this as well....and it is especially disheartening at schools that have an A-F grading scale. I was told the difference between an A or B would be memorizing the minutiae....

I have been told this as well....and it is especially disheartening at schools that have an A-F grading scale. I was told the difference between an A or B would be memorizing the minutiae....
Whether your school has A-F or P/F it doesn't matter... all that matters is being better than everyone else in the class.

what do you think about schools that do not have protected time for STEP 1 studying?
Are there many schools that don't give a break for step 1? Sounds terrible. Although many students start studying around January-Feb during classes anyways... however I feel the schools' #1 priority for M1/2 should be step 1 that is the whole point of the first two years

The top of your class, GPA wise, is also the top of your class when it comes to step 1. Don't be fooled by that nonsense.

The top of your class, GPA wise, is also the top of your class when it comes to step 1. Don't be fooled by that nonsense.
duh.... point is in house exams will have junk that is irrelevant to step 1 and useless

duh.... point is in house exams will have junk that is irrelevant to step 1 and useless

Medical school lays the foundation for all fields. The first two years help you develop the knowledge to understand disease and treatment. Some schools do a better job than others in presenting the material for step 1. Either way, learning it all is better than learning the dumbed down version in first aid. Usmle exams tend to have you apply a fair bit of material, which is where memorization alone hurts you.