questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJdian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when is the best time to apply to podiatric school? and how many schools do we have in the entire states
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The best time is ASAP. The new application will be available in September. The later you apply, the more likely the classes are full. I believe the new application is available in September and interviews follow shortly after.

There are 8 schools in the US. In no particular order, CPMS in Des Moines, IA; AZPOD in Glendale, AZ; Temple in Philly; NYCPM in NYC; Scholl in Chicago; CSPM in Oakland; Barry in Fort Lauderdale; OCPM in Cleveland.

If you'd like more info go to www.aacpm.org. That is also where you can find information on applying and a link to the application.

I submitted my application the first week it was out last fall, and I was accepted to Scholl by late October. I have had friends that didn't go through the application process till April. It's really up to you. I had to renew my cell phone plan so I wanted to know where I was going by Christmas. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
molldoll2010dpm said:
I submitted my application the first week it was out last fall, and I was accepted to Scholl by late October. I have had friends that didn't go through the application process till April. It's really up to you. I had to renew my cell phone plan so I wanted to know where I was going by Christmas. :)

I just called AACPMAS, and the lady told me that applications sent after April are on the first come-first serve basis, and anything before that (sept-march) are basically just sitting there. She told me to take my time and send in my application in around oct-nov. I'm preparing my 2007 application, and I'm pretty confused. I've heard many times on the forum that earlier is better, but is that only for the exceptional applicants or does this lady not know what she's talking about? Thanks.

Sending your Application in October is early. The 2007 application is not available until September. It is always true in any medical school that the earlier the better. So I'd get started September 1st b/c it takes awhile to fill out.

The exceptions to this rule is if you GPA is a little low, work hard 1st term and apply in January.

Thanks for your response Dr. Feelgood!

Estee said:
I just called AACPMAS, and the lady told me that applications sent after April are on the first come-first serve basis, and anything before that (sept-march) are basically just sitting there. She told me to take my time and send in my application in around oct-nov. I'm preparing my 2007 application, and I'm pretty confused. I've heard many times on the forum that earlier is better, but is that only for the exceptional applicants or does this lady not know what she's talking about? Thanks.

Seriously, I heard back from all the schools I applied to within the first week. Then I set up my interviews. I could have interviewed in California as early as October 4th. Scholl was my top choice, and I interviewed the first week they started the interview process. But waiting to apply till later is also fine, I had to wait for interviews to begin and you will start your interviewing almost right after you apply if you wait till November. I just wanted to get the applying process done as early in the semester as possible so I could concentrate on finals.

hey mollodolla,
I am thinking you were in good shape when you applied. wondering what your GPA and MCAT score was? it takes me forever to apply..
also I want thank Dr.Feel good for his respond
good luck guys

NJdian said:
hey mollodolla,
I am thinking you were in good shape when you applied. wondering what your GPA and MCAT score was? it takes me forever to apply..
good luck guys
NJdian,

I couldn't help but notice your location says you are in hell. You've got to be talking about Arizona because it has been a raging inferno this summer. :laugh:

AZPOD Rocks

NJdian said:
hey mollodolla,
good luck guys

Well, my GPA is a 3.39 my science GPA is a little over a 3.0. My MCAT was a couple points below the average though. I knew my extracurriculars would be a HUGE part of my application, I had been highly involved in just about everything in college. I also had good letters of recs. One thing that was mentioned at my interview was the amount of hard upper level classes I've had. I'm a Biology/Psychology major and almost an English minor. I knew I would do good at an interview too, but mine was incredibly short and I thought I had screwed up. My MCAT was a little low though, but not enough to keep me out of the schools I applied. So I think it all depends what you have to offer the field of Podiatry as an individual. I know I can bring a lot to the table as far as academics AND school involvement which someday will lead me to more Professional involvement. Just show that your passionate, my passion shows everyday for anything that I do. But good luck yourself, and remember Scholl is AWESOME!!!!!

NJdian said:
when is the best time to apply to podiatric school? and how many schools do we have in the entire states
thanks

Its better to apply for podiatric school in september