Questions....

D

deleted316655

So, I am a high school freshman interested in becoming a neurosurgeon. It may seem like I am stressing for no reason as I have a long time to go before I reach a point in my life where my grades will have any significant affect, however I plan on going to a 6,7, or 8 year program. I was thinking about going to the UMDNJ program that is partnered with either Princeton, Rutgers, or The College of New Jersey. I was also thinking about going to Drexel University, or to Seton Hall and having a dual program in medicine and law. Has anyone been to any of these programs, or does anyone haeard from others about it? Also, I have a question about shadowing a doctor. I was thinking about asking my primary care physician, but I do not know her very well so that was ruled out. I asked a couple of doctors and they said they were too busy with other students; they did seem very nice which motivated me to ask some more doctors who have not yet replied. Do you think that, being a high school freshman, I am too young to shadow a doctor, or do you think I should keep trying? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you're too young, but you may run into some brick walls because of your perceived age and maturity level. It's also a bit of a liability to let someone shadow, so you usually have to find just the right person. If you know a friend of the family, someone at your church/other religious group, or someone else who can otherwise vouch for you, that will be your best bet. Don't stress too much about getting something right this second and be open to a lot, including possibly biomedical research.

So, I am a high school freshman interested in becoming a neurosurgeon. It may seem like I am stressing for no reason as I have a long time to go before I reach a point in my life where my grades will have any significant affect, however I plan on going to a 6,7, or 8 year program. I was thinking about going to the UMDNJ program that is partnered with either Princeton, Rutgers, or The College of New Jersey. I was also thinking about going to Drexel University, or to Seton Hall and having a dual program in medicine and law. Has anyone been to any of these programs, or does anyone haeard from others about it? Also, I have a question about shadowing a doctor. I was thinking about asking my primary care physician, but I do not know her very well so that was ruled out. I asked a couple of doctors and they said they were too busy with other students; they did seem very nice which motivated me to ask some more doctors who have not yet replied. Do you think that, being a high school freshman, I am too young to shadow a doctor, or do you think I should kepp trying? Thanks in advance.

Try the volunteering route instead. Most hospitals have an office for that sort of thing. You can shadow as part of it, but you might have to wait until you are 16 to do either depending on your state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in a volunteer application, but I know that I am going to be doing jobs like being a greeter or just clerical work and I would rather do something else. I have tried contacting some doctors and the ones that have gotten back to me said they couldn't, although they were very nice about it. I don't really know any doctors so I can't ask them. The only reason I am so intent on doing this is because I am absolutely certain that I wish to become a doctor.:)

I sent in a volunteer application, but I know that I am going to be doing jobs like being a greeter or just clerical work and I would rather do something else. I have tried contacting some doctors and the ones that have gotten back to me said they couldn't, although they were very nice about it. I don't really know any doctors so I can't ask them. The only reason I am so intent on doing this is because I am absolutely certain that I wish to become a doctor.:)

Well that's great, but maybe you should wait to be a fellow before designating yourself a fellow. ;) Pre-medical is where you are at.

Ok. I get where you're coming from, but I've become stuck on the idea of shadowing a doctor. I know people who have shadowed a doctor at my age, so I don't see the issue. Either way I think I am just going to keep trying. If I do get the opportunity to shadow a doctor that will be great, but if I don't it won't be terrible.

Well that's great, but maybe you should wait to be a fellow before designating yourself a fellow. ;) Pre-medical is where you are at.

Second that. As an actual fellow, shadowing and volunteering are a distant memory. I would venture that the thread starter might not even know what the term means.

lanashif, you should change your status to "pre-medical" or something along those lines. You don't want to mis-represent yourself.

So, I am a high school freshman interested in becoming a neurosurgeon. It may seem like I am stressing for no reason as I have a long time to go before I reach a point in my life where my grades will have any significant affect, however I plan on going to a 6,7, or 8 year program. I was thinking about going to the UMDNJ program that is partnered with either Princeton, Rutgers, or The College of New Jersey. I was also thinking about going to Drexel University, or to Seton Hall and having a dual program in medicine and law. Has anyone been to any of these programs, or does anyone haeard from others about it? Also, I have a question about shadowing a doctor. I was thinking about asking my primary care physician, but I do not know her very well so that was ruled out. I asked a couple of doctors and they said they were too busy with other students; they did seem very nice which motivated me to ask some more doctors who have not yet replied. Do you think that, being a high school freshman, I am too young to shadow a doctor, or do you think I should keep trying? Thanks in advance.

Princeton does not have a BS/MD program with UMDNJ. UMDNJ does have BS/MD program linkages with several colleges in NJ, with the one at TCNJ being the biggest. Some of the other colleges are Rutgers-Newark, Drew, BU, Stevens.

Also, I'm not sure what the dual program in medicine and law you're talking about is, but if you want to become a neurosurgeon, a JD is unnecessary.

It IS a little too early to be sold on being a neurosurgeon. Its ok to have a broad goal of being a doctor, but many people in college and med school end up changing their minds dozens of times. Just make sure you 100% want to do it before you commit to any BS/MD programs.

Yea, I understand. I definitely am sure that I want to become a doctor, but perhaps it is too early to specify so much. I know that you don't need a JD to become a neurosurgeon, I was just thinking that if I didn't become a neurosurgeon, but I did become a doctor, I would want to go in to law as well. Are you sure Princeton doesn't have a program with UMDNJ? I was almost positive it had one since I've heard numerous people say that it does. I'll have to look that up.

Yea, I understand. I definitely am sure that I want to become a doctor, but perhaps it is too early to specify so much. I know that you don't need a JD to become a neurosurgeon, I was just thinking that if I didn't become a neurosurgeon, but I did become a doctor, I would want to go in to law as well. Are you sure Princeton doesn't have a program with UMDNJ? I was almost positive it had one since I've heard numerous people say that it does. I'll have to look that up.

If you became a doctor but didn't want to be a neurosurgeon, you would go into another medical specialty. There are hardly any jobs that an MD/JD can have that would fully utilize both degrees, and not enough to justify the high cost and duration of getting both degrees.

Princeton does not have a BS/MD program. I am saying this as someone who applied to BS/MD programs last year as a high school senior and am also a NJ resident. Princeton is pretty adamant that its primary focus is undergraduate and not preprofessional education.

Oh really? That's interesting. Thanks for telling me. For some reason I had always thought they had one. So maybe now I should look into other specialties. I just thought that going into a dual program would definitely have its advantages, and it would definitely be cool to do it, not that that is why I would apply.

Dude, you must be really smart to become a fellow while in high school :eek:

Oh really? That's interesting. Thanks for telling me. For some reason I had always thought they had one. So maybe now I should look into other specialties. I just thought that going into a dual program would definitely have its advantages, and it would definitely be cool to do it, not that that is why I would apply.

Most people will tell you (rightly) that you don't need to be thinking of specialties right now... you need to focus on doing well in college, enjoying the pre-med years, and constructing a good application. In general, students won't "know" what their specialty will be until well into years 3 and 4 of med school. Everyone has things they're interested in, naturally; I thought emergency med sounded cool when I first decided on medicine, but then after some volunteering and actual pre-med coursework, I found that I really love genetics. I might decide that I love something else three years from now. You don't know for sure until you get there, and seriously worrying about specialties this early in the game will drive you crazy. Take things one step at a time.