Quick amcas clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I know that Canadian Med Schools don't count certain grades when they are not taken as part of a full time undergrad schedule. I read somewhere on SDN about someone taking 50 credits to boost GPA but none of them counted on AMCAS GPA calculations because they weren't taken during FT course load. And considering this is what ad coms see, it's critical to get this right.

So, as I start classes in 3 weeks, anything similar happen with US AMCAS apps? I am taking 8 credits this semester (while working FT) and my school counts that as 1/2 time. One more credit, I'm FT (per the school, who knows about AMCAS). I DO NOT want this Canadian scenario to happen to me as part of my goal is to boost GPA. So, for AMCAS purposes, am I good to go as a US student taking additional classes (my premeds) 1/2 time when it comes to them counting on my AMCAS GPA calculations? That indeed, these will "count" during AMCAS and BCMP GPA on my AMCAS app?

Caveat: I am NOT asking whether I should be taking more credits/semester to prove to ad-coms that I'm worthy. I'll deal with that one in the personal statement, or with my MCAT score ( :D ). Just asking about AMCAS calculation. If I need one more credit, I'll pick up something. I really need all these Premeds to be on AMCAS not only as requirements, but to total up against older GPAs. And raise me numbers up.

I searched the AMCAS site, unless you register, seems no answers can be found. And it's too earlier to go to Borders and buy a book, they ain't open. :)

Thanks,
D712

Members don't see this ad.

I know nothing about the vagaries of the Canadian system. In the US, individual schools may have their own rules about what can be used to fulfill their requirements, but from an AMCAS perspective every grade you've ever gottenpast high school counts, a fact many of us mourn. :p

Ps. The only caveat is that sometimes people incorrectly think a course does or doesn't count for BCMP, and that can be a nasty surprise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can others confirm??? Thanks breeeak.

All courses count. There is no direct impact on the gpa calcs if you take them part-time.
As said above, if you are trying to boost BCPM, just make sure the classes are offered by the correct department.

Can others confirm??? Thanks breeeak.

If you apply through AMCAS to US schools, all post-high school grades from all institutions attended are calculated into your application GPA, whether you took the classes part- or full-time.

An exception is international coursework credits which were not accepted by an Americian institution.

Great. Thanks. Lastly, P/F courses passed get no grade points I'm guessing?

Correct. The semester hours are listed and if the grade is marked as a "P", it has no impact on your GPA.

I checked the AMCAS website just now and interestingly, if you fail a PASS/FAIL course, it is not counted in the GPA calculation either. To quote:

·Courses with the AMCAS grades listed below are not included in the GPA calculations. Instead, the total hours for each of these categories are reported to the schools under the heading "Supplementary Hours."
·Pass/Fail - Pass
·Pass/Fail - Fail
·AP Credit
·CLEP Credit

Last edited:
If you apply through AMCAS to US schools, all post-high school grades from all institutions attended are calculated into your application GPA, whether you took the classes part- or full-time.

An exception is international coursework credits which were not accepted by an Americian institution.

Do you know about international coursework credits that were accepted by an American institution? I studied abroad in the UK, but my university transferred those courses in as credit/no credit. For the purposes of AMCAS, then, I assume they wouldn't count those credits at my home university (they'd be "supplementary hours"), and would I then re-list those courses with grades as having been from the UK university?

I know this is complicated and we're getting into the intricacies of GPA now, but I've always wondered.

Last edited: