quick question about Jones Reagent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rah08e

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that jones reagent reacts with an -R group of a benzene ring and turn it into a carboxylic acid, but why doesn't this work the same way with a straight chain such as 3-methyl-pentanol, where only the -OH is oxidized into the carboxylic acid?

Also, referring to the first part of the question, can the -R group on benzene be anything more complex than a straight alkyl chain?

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the only requirement is that you have a benzylic hydrogen but I am not 100% sure.

lol, when I read your post. I thought I saw Ronald Reagan. I believe from your statement, jones reagent is a strong oxidizing reagent and therefore would oxidize -OH for instance to -COOH or -R to -COOH. Not 100% sure, but logically make sense.

lol, when I read your post. I thought I saw Ronald Reagan. I believe from your statement, jones reagent is a strong oxidizing reagent and therefore would oxidize -OH for instance to -COOH or -R to -COOH. Not 100% sure, but logically make sense.

Ronald Reagen lol. He indeed was a character.