quick question about letters of interest/letters of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhopefulucla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure if this has been asked before, but do such letters need to be addressed to the Dean of Admissions, or is it okay to address them to the Committee on Admissions? any help would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen opinions on this forum that advocate both. Personally, I feel it's best to address the committee.

You don't know who eventually will have the time or be given yoru letter. I suggest that you go to the with "Dear Admissions Committee". Even if the Dean of Admissions reads it, I'm sure he/she would barely notice the difference. However, someone on committee might notice if you write "Dear Dean of Admissions" because then they are technically reading something that is not meant for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks you guys! my original inclination was to address the committee on admissions, but other people had told me to address the dean...

I vote for admissions committees for letters of update, and dean of admissions for letters of intent.

but I don't think it really matters. you could write "Dear School of Medicine" and they would probably be ok with it. hec, you could address it "dear supreme mugwump" and I doubt they're really notice or care.