Quick question about Quantum Numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If "l" is 0 (i.e., if we're looking at the s-shell), what is the range for ml? Can it only be 0 as well?

Members don't see this ad.

If "l" is 0 (i.e., if we're looking at the s-shell), what is the range for ml? Can it only be 0 as well?

ml= -l....0....+l

You can only have one quantum number for ml if l=0 which is in agreement with what we know about the s-subshell (only one orbital)

ml= -l....0....+l

You can only have one quantum number for ml if l=0 which is in agreement with what we know about the s-subshell (only one orbital)

Yes so the only value for ml is 0. Why did you include -1 and 1? I believe that is inaccurate and would apply to an l value of 1.

ml= -l....0....+l

Right, so it if l=0 then ml must equal 0? I'm basically asking if ml has to be 0 or 1 if l=0. I already know the ranges for all the other l values.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes so the only value for ml is 0. Why did you include -1 and 1? I believe that is inaccurate and would apply to an l value of 1.

Perfect thanks.

And I think he brought up [-l, +l] range to signify what ml could be if we were not looking at the s-subshell, but rather p, d, or f.

For some reason I thought if l=0, then ml would equal 1. Just had to double-check. Thanks guys.

Perfect thanks.

And I think he brought up [-l, +l] range to signify what ml could be if we were not looking at the s-subshell, but rather p, d, or f.

For some reason I thought if l=0, then ml would equal 1. Just had to double-check. Thanks guys.

Sorry..they look alike :/