Quick question. Interview = high chance of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Furious George

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does an interview = high chance of getting into the school?

Getting an interview means the school accepts all your academic stuff right? But what's the reason for an interview? I'm heading for Tufts interview this coming tuesday, but what is the likelyhood of getting in? How bad do you have to screw up for them to reject you after the interview?

I'm rather nervous right now, since it'll be my first interview, maybe my only interview.........

Members don't see this ad.

Furious George said:

Getting an interview means the school accepts all your academic stuff right? But what's the reason for an interview? I'm heading for Tufts interview this coming tuesday, but what is the likelyhood of getting in? How bad do you have to screw up for them to reject you after the interview?

I'm rather nervous right now, since it'll be my first interview, maybe my only interview.........

I would say that you are correct in assuming that an interview means that you meet the school's minimum academic criteria.

The biggest reason for the interview is to put a face with your file.. A chance to see (besides academic stuff) if you have the drive, motivation, maturity and personality of someone who seriously wants to be a dentist. A chance to make sure you aren't psychotic, though I imagine that's pretty easy to fake. :p

I'd say you'd have to screw up pretty bad at the interview for it to have any real negative effect on you -- my opinion

Most important of all... DON'T be nervous! I was on 6 interviews and all but one were totally laid back -- like a friendly conversation that just happened to be all about me.

Prepare for your interview:

Read SDN interview feedback -- good source of what type of questions they
are most likely to ask

Read the schools website -- note down some things that are interesting or unique about the school (good things!) and bring them up during you interview. Shows them you have prepared.

Prepare some questions to ask the interviewer
i.e. What % of your students pass the boards on the first try?
What percent of your students specialize?
Tell me about housing?
NO stupid questions.. ie How much money will I make? etc...

Have a couple of prepared answers. Not memorized regurgitations but rather have a good idea of what you want to say to the following questions.
Why dentistry?
Why this school?
Tell me about yourself (for this one I recommend you check out an interviewing book)

Relax and be cool, you'll do great.. Just prepare

Good luck to you

Furious George said:

Hi Furious George,

My Tufts interview was about 2 weeks ago and I could honestly say just be yourself. The interview day was very relaxing and the interview itself was more conversational. As for your chances of getting an acceptance to Tufts, they told us that they grant interviews to 25% of their applicant pool and 75% are accepted from those numbers. So your chances are VERY HIGH. Don't worry. Break a leg! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx gang!

I hope I don't fall in the other 25%...... :(

Hey niceteeth, do you know how long after the interview will they send out the acceptence/rejection?

Furious George said:
Thanx gang!

I hope I don't fall in the other 25%...... :(

Hey niceteeth, do you know how long after the interview will they send out the acceptence/rejection?

Furious George,

For Tufts, they say that the adcom meets every 2 weeks so I'm thinking between 2-4 weeks. Then again, I also got an acceptance from UPenn a week after my interview with them. It all depends. I hope that helps.