quick question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radioswitch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone. i recently matched into a prelim spot and ophthalmology; but i want to switch to radiology. is this possible? what do i need to do? is there a listing of spots open for 2006? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to switch out of Ophtho? IMHO, assuming you like the work, they have an easier lifestyle nowadays and can make much more money. Rads is just getting tougher and tougher with the amount of studies needing to be read. Plus its much harder to open up an imaging center (where the money is) than an outpatient eye surgery clinic with an optical shop. Those that do exist are owned by the old-timers. Hard to get in on those as a fresh Rad grad. Just my 2 cents.

hi everyone. i recently matched into a prelim spot and ophthalmology; but i want to switch to radiology. is this possible?

Yes, but WHY ?

> what do i need to do? is there a listing of spots open for 2006?

Here is the listing: 0

Realistically, there is no 'list'. Jobs at less attractive programs pop up here and there throughout the year (mostly from people who leave for more attractive specialties, e.g. ophtho.) But there is no list. If you find something posted on the web it means that this job is already gone.

Think long and hard about this. You have matched into the single most attractive specialty in medicine, why would you want to throw this away. (My wife is in ophtho, I am in rads. I see both sides of the coin, every day.)

- Don't let the whole BS about optometrists taking over the field dissuade you from pursuing this specialty.
- Don't look at the current income situation for starting rads vs ophtho.

Income, lifestyle and the like are moving targets. The situation you are looking at right now might be very different from what you will be looking at 5 years from now when you come out.
Radiology has its own set of challenges for the midterm future. Mainly self-referred clinician imaging, impending drops in imaging reimbursement and to a lesser degree overseas outsourcing.