quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbiee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i had a quick question -
i've been advised to get my post-bacc applications together quickly and to apply for a fall start to a bunch of schools (if they allow students to start in the fall) and just attend whichever i get into. Do you think it would be a better idea to spend the summer and fall volunteering, shadowing doctors (I've spoken to a few who said they'd be happy to help me out), and putting together a strong application to a good program?
i guess i should also mention that my current situation has not permitted me much time to do any volunteering, so that is one big weakness working against me.
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

unfortunately most post-bacc's that start in the fall have deadlines coming up in may/early june.
also most start accepting applications late fall or by atleast january and review on a rolling-basis. i would think you'd want to get your application together very soon..

sorry, i just re-read and i think you're thinking of using the next year to volunteer and then do a post-bacc?
i think it really depends on where the weaknesses are in your application. if volunteering is a very weak point then it may be a better idea to work on your extra-curriculars. personally i had a lot of volunteering and clinical work, but a low gpa so i'm looking more to a post-bacc

Members don't see this ad :)
Ultimately, a good program is one that helps you get into a medical school. So, any post-bac program can be a good program--all lot of it really depends on you. Don't be deceived that Goucher, Bryn Mawr, etc. will be the ticket for your success in this process--remember that these programs accept people who are proven good students and have already laid a strong application foundation with shadowing, volunteering, etc...not to mention their success rates are based on those that complete the program--they'd be lower if they accounted for those that drop out of it. That's the case for BM and Columbia, anyways...don't know about Goucher.

Consider if you can afford another year. For most one-year post bacs, if you don't start the post-bac for another year, you'll be looking at starting med school in 3 years. Depending on how old you are, the year you'll save by starting earlier--as in, graduating med school in 6 years as opposed to 7--might be important financially or otherwise (as in planning for kids).

That said, take-home exams, being graded on a curve with the undergrads but not in class with them, and the possibility of linkages (all qualities of Bryn Mawr) are nice perks that certainly add a bit of cushion to the post-bac experience and might be worth a year's wait of application strengthening.

It's a bit late to be applying to postbacs, IMO. I heard recently that most of the top programs were more or less done with their classes. I think most people could benefit from a year of volunteering/shadowing and that might actually give you perspective that could be useful either in evaluating your own decision to go to med school or at least strengthen your overall experience.

hi everyone, i had a quick question -
i've been advised to get my post-bacc applications together quickly and to apply for a fall start to a bunch of schools (if they allow students to start in the fall) and just attend whichever i get into. Do you think it would be a better idea to spend the summer and fall volunteering, shadowing doctors (I've spoken to a few who said they'd be happy to help me out), and putting together a strong application to a good program?
i guess i should also mention that my current situation has not permitted me much time to do any volunteering, so that is one big weakness working against me.
thanks in advance

I was EXACTLY in your shoes last year. I got my apps together at the last minute, got accepted to Loyolas MAMS (actually I got accepted to like 6 Master's programs, a welcome relief after all those med school rejection letters) and I've been volunteering a ton this year through the program. If you don't have ANY volunteer experience, and I'm assuming your numbers are less than stellar since you've been pointed in the post-bacc direction, you should probably take a year off from applying and try again after you have your Masters (Loyola only takes 1 year, great Pre-health office & coordinated volunteer opportunities). Deadline for applying is July 1st, I think. Email them if you have any questions, they're really helpful [email protected]
:)

thanks to everyone for your responses! i've decided to spend the next year doing some volunteering, shadowing, and travelling (as i'm realizing it is going to be a LONG time before i really have free time once the "journey" begins). so, thanks again and best of luck to all of you!