Quick rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Person comes to the counter to pickup a few meds, 1 dollar copays, also a few candy bars, proceeds to slowly count change from their purse like they had no idea it would cost money, then after they get their rx they want a candy bar and is shocked at the price and returns to slowly count change out of their purse, can't find enough and wants to try a few cards to take off the final few cents, tender rejected on all cards, asks to redo transaction on other register swears their cards have money on them.

Then they see they get points on their rx's and proceeds to ask to refill each med to see which has 0 copay so they can accumulate enough points to take a dollar off their purchase, also goes back into the isles to switch items multiple times, handed them like 5-10 receipts in total after this.... all meanwhile I'm only one on duty and have a crap load of stuff to do...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
This is the worst type of customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Person comes to the counter to pickup a few meds, 1 dollar copays, also a few candy bars, proceeds to slowly count change from their purse like they had no idea it would cost money, then after they get their rx they want a candy bar and is shocked at the price and returns to slowly count change out of their purse, can't find enough and wants to try a few cards to take off the final few cents, tender rejected on all cards, asks to redo transaction on other register swears their cards have money on them.

Then they see they get points on their rx's and proceeds to ask to refill each med to see which has 0 copay so they can accumulate enough points to take a dollar off their purchase, also goes back into the isles to switch items multiple times, handed them like 5-10 receipts in total after this.... all meanwhile I'm only one on duty and have a crap load of stuff to do...
I had a customer purchase items at the pharmacy the other day. She bought a calendar that was $7.50. Then she says, "wait wait, is that calendar really 7.50?!" and I respond with "Yes, what were you expecting?" Then she says, "The tag says 50% off." The maker of the tag put that on there and it still clearly says $7.50. She, of course, didn't want it. I feel that because they are small and personal that pharmacy chains attract wheeler-dealers. They don't pull this crap at large box stores.

Hahahah, that's awful.

That's the kind of patient that starts getting put on hold for 10 minutes each time they call.

"I'm going to be coming to the drive through in a few minutes.

Can you get me [rattles off food and other items from the front store] before i come to the window?

NO?!?!? But i go there all the time!"

I got anxiety readying this.

Why did you not call/send for the front end of the store?

Remember, you're paying taxes for these very folks.

Reactions: 1 user

I once a person tried to do a non-pharmacy return through the drive-thru. I don't know what makes people think that is acceptable.

Reactions: 3 users
Remember, you're paying taxes for these very folks.

Remember, these very folks were paying taxes for you when you were in school. And someone else will be paying taxes for you when you are one of those folks. Circle of life.

Thats why retail folks took the oath of the garbage man. No matter how trashy,smelly,rude,entitled/arrogant the customer is, its our job and our paycheck. I personally enjoy seeing government scripts come by, my tax dollar is providing me work. First of the month when they load carts up with food stamps keeps me employed!!

When I was doing nights I'd just tell the customer the register was loading/frozen and make them stand there awkwardly until they walked away or really complained (when buying front store stuff).

Remember, these very folks were paying taxes for you when you were in school. And someone else will be paying taxes for you when you are one of those folks. Circle of life.

No, absolutely not. They were paying taxes for their own future/current use and possibly their own offspring's use. I will admit my parents paid taxes for my benefit, but in OP story seems as if the patient suffers from mental illness or long standing poverty--most likely not paying much taxes or even gaining from the system. /rant

No, absolutely not. They were paying taxes for their own future/current use and possibly their own offspring's use. I will admit my parents paid taxes for my benefit, but in OP story seems as if the patient suffers from mental illness or long standing poverty--most likely not paying much taxes or even gaining from the system. /rant

That isn't how taxes work. I am also impressed with your ability to determine their entire tax history from one anecdote/experience. Truly impressive.

Reactions: 2 users
Thats why retail folks took the oath of the garbage man. No matter how trashy,smelly,rude,entitled/arrogant the customer is, its our job and our paycheck. I personally enjoy seeing government scripts come by, my tax dollar is providing me work. First of the month when they load carts up with food stamps keeps me employed!!

When I was doing nights I'd just tell the customer the register was loading/frozen and make them stand there awkwardly until they walked away or really complained (when buying front store stuff).

The US government is bankrupt, it doesn't matter who pays taxes or what they are used for. The welfare state is going to collapse one way or another.

The very same people who got their meds with 0 co-pay by medicaid and scanning their customer rewards card that is attached to their mercedez benz key chain.

"Ma'am, we can't do this for every person, I have other customers who I need to help, come back to the counter when you're ready."

Members don't see this ad :)

"Th... The roads!

Y... You like public education right?

Please don't look at military spending... Or the failing infrastructure... Or our debt to China

:( "

I used to keep 5 dollars or so in my pocket to help out in instances where a patient couldn’t afford a small purchase. I used to have one lady who would come by for scripts and other random small stuff. She always paid in change. She kept her change wrapped in several foil pouches inside a garbage bag that was also wrapped in foil all surrounded by a second garbage bag wrapped in paper towels. It took forever and she was often a bit short on funds. We need better social services for people. It stresses me out when my patients can’t afford a one dollar item.

That isn't how taxes work. I am also impressed with your ability to determine their entire tax history from one anecdote/experience. Truly impressive.

Why do you think they created online forums in the first place?

seen one seen em' all :]

The very same people who got their meds with 0 co-pay by medicaid and scanning their customer rewards card that is attached to their mercedez benz key chain.

But hey, they paid sales tax on that Mercedes Benz, that went to the state and city, so they still paid taxes.

Had someone call me up wanting me to pay for the extra cab fair (for messenger) because it literally took like 3 minutes to fill said person's script (psycho patient).
Oh hell no. They should have called that in ahead of time and made sure it is ready prior to arrival. (Then they'll probably get in line at the drive thru at a fast food joint)

Had a lady Friday shut down the pharmacy for about 45 mins. Her Medicaid wanted her to pay $1.25 for each of her three scripts. We went around and around forever about it (she was convinced we had messed up/her meds should be free) before she finally agreed to pay. She then pulls out her new flex card to cover it, and it's not activated. Another 20 mins of her insisting it's activated and our register must be broken.

She then asked me to pay, then sat in the lobby fake crying for 15 mins when I wouldn't buy her meds. Unknown to me, she then panhandled incoming customers until a nice elderly man gave her $5 to buy her meds. In the midst of all that, one of our computers was down and another lady in the lobby was yelling at us about her meds not being ready exactly at the estimated time told earlier. January in retail pharmacy, folks.

If you work at a ghetto Walmart usually they have armed security. How do you get stubborn ***** out of a drugstore chain aside from calling police?

Had a lady Friday shut down the pharmacy for about 45 mins. Her Medicaid wanted her to pay $1.25 for each of her three scripts. We went around and around forever about it (she was convinced we had messed up/her meds should be free) before she finally agreed to pay. She then pulls out her new flex card to cover it, and it's not activated. Another 20 mins of her insisting it's activated and our register must be broken.

She then asked me to pay, then sat in the lobby fake crying for 15 mins when I wouldn't buy her meds. Unknown to me, she then panhandled incoming customers until a nice elderly man gave her $5 to buy her meds. In the midst of all that, one of our computers was down and another lady in the lobby was yelling at us about her meds not being ready exactly at the estimated time told earlier. January in retail pharmacy, folks.

Lady huh? You mean scum of the earth?

If you work at a ghetto Walmart usually they have armed security. How do you get stubborn ***** out of a drugstore chain aside from calling police?
Threatening to call the police is usually sufficient.

pretend to call the police?

a) This girl came by to buy "insulin syringes" because her insulin rx is fill w/ --- across the street but she wanted to buy them here are -------- = $3.50, didn't want to pay that so she ask other people in line for some money and started crying and being very dramatic and the lady in line felt bad and said "Ok I'll pay for it this is something she really need right...?" and I did not know what to say honestly wanted to tell the nice lady that that girl probably is NOT using these syringes for insulin. So I am very jealous of states that require an insulin rx to buy syringes.

b) So many time there are people who buy a crap load of things, and their medicare rx is $3.65 (in MA) and they KNOW that each time each rx is $3.65 and then ask surprise when they only brought $5 with them but need all this junk food and nail polish so they don't want to get the 5 rx we got ready for them. And proceed to sit in the waiting area crying until some other customer come and think we're bullying them so they gave the person money. And this person always always do this, I was sick of their bs.

c) tech was ringing out for this very bothersome person and then called me over to finish the transaction because she have to leave RIGHT NOW (ok). I come and ring them all out mind you 18 cans of cat food, >25 items + rx. Then stared intently and the receipt and REFUSE to leave and complained how the 18 cans of cat food is on sale but the sale didn't come up. And then proceed to try to do mental math about how they THOUGHT their receipt should be this much and I screwed up ringing them up. BLblabla. 3 people behind this person and he doesn't give a crap and proceed to complained some more. I call customer service. It's 8pm so no one come for a good 5 minutes but this guy won't leave and won't let me help the other people behind him. Lagging me for 10 minutes of his complaining and questioning the price of every single item.
Can we PLEASE have it a policy if you have >5 items you cannot ring it out at the pharmacy because I donot know how and why things are on sale or now so please leave me alone. Thanks.

Sorry rant over. Carry on.

a) This girl came by to buy "insulin syringes" because her insulin rx is fill w/ --- across the street but she wanted to buy them here are -------- = $3.50, didn't want to pay that so she ask other people in line for some money and started crying and being very dramatic and the lady in line felt bad and said "Ok I'll pay for it this is something she really need right...?" and I did not know what to say honestly wanted to tell the nice lady that that girl probably is NOT using these syringes for insulin. So I am very jealous of states that require an insulin rx to buy syringes.

b) So many time there are people who buy a crap load of things, and their medicare rx is $3.65 (in MA) and they KNOW that each time each rx is $3.65 and then ask surprise when they only brought $5 with them but need all this junk food and nail polish so they don't want to get the 5 rx we got ready for them. And proceed to sit in the waiting area crying until some other customer come and think we're bullying them so they gave the person money. And this person always always do this, I was sick of their bs.

c) tech was ringing out for this very bothersome person and then called me over to finish the transaction because she have to leave RIGHT NOW (ok). I come and ring them all out mind you 18 cans of cat food, >25 items + rx. Then stared intently and the receipt and REFUSE to leave and complained how the 18 cans of cat food is on sale but the sale didn't come up. And then proceed to try to do mental math about how they THOUGHT their receipt should be this much and I screwed up ringing them up. BLblabla. 3 people behind this person and he doesn't give a crap and proceed to complained some more. I call customer service. It's 8pm so no one come for a good 5 minutes but this guy won't leave and won't let me help the other people behind him. Lagging me for 10 minutes of his complaining and questioning the price of every single item.
Can we PLEASE have it a policy if you have >5 items you cannot ring it out at the pharmacy because I donot know how and why things are on sale or now so please leave me alone. Thanks.

1. Syringes should be free for opiate dependent individuals. Do you really want HIV and hepatitis being spread in your community? The drug user buying NEW needles is actually one of the smarter drug users as there are many more just using and reusing and sharing needles. The fact that you don't want to provide clean needles to a drug user speaks volumes about your huge ego and how you feel superior to others. Maybe walk a mile in someone else's shoes. You would be surprised how quickly life can change.

. So I am very jealous of states that require an insulin rx to buy syringes.

The best way is how IL does it, they specifically made syringes OTC to prevent HIV/Hepatitis among drug users. Users don't have to lie or make up stories, they just come and buy their syringes. And if they have to panhandle for that money....well, that is still cheaper that when everyone's taxes pay for the healthcare of someone with HIV/Hepatitis.

If people have more than 10 items or we are busy, I tell them to take it up front. This is the pharmacy, I'm not a cashier.

1. Syringes should be free for opiate dependent individuals. Do you really want HIV and hepatitis being spread in your community? The drug user buying NEW needles is actually one of the smarter drug users as there are many more just using and reusing and sharing needles. The fact that you don't want to provide clean needles to a drug user speaks volumes about your huge ego and how you feel superior to others. Maybe walk a mile in someone else's shoes. You would be surprised how quickly life can change.

Selling syringes is a huge imposition on your workflow at any retail pharmacy; especially once word gets around that you’re selling 10-packs - no questions asked.

Why does it have to fall on the lap of retail pharmacists to do this? Any state can set up needle exchange programs and have RVs/vans circulate around the city.

I had someone OD in the bathroom at my pharmacy. Never again. I won’t do it. I got tired of going to the bathroom and running into *paranoid meth addicts holding a needle infected with god knows what and all ready to inject whatever. Then without fail, they would leave the used needles behind and tweet their friends alerting them they’d left some needles behind for them. Or I would find the needles in the parking lot.

Last year, target had to pay several million to this woman in the Carolinas who got stuck with a needle in an attempt to get it off her kid’s hand who had found it right in the middle of the parking lot.

I absolutely get your point and it’s valid. However, most people don’t realize that for most states that allow such transactions, the law does not state “the pharmacist SHALL”; instead it states “the pharmacist MAY” and usually there’s a “if in the professional judgment of the pharmacist”. It’s not mandatory. If it’s hurting your workflow, why do it? They may go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

I love it when they show up with meat and such. I tell them it’s a biohazard and against health codes and they must therefore go to the registers upfront. Biohazard ALWAYS works... there’s something about that word that makes people think of the movie Contagion.

Selling syringes is a huge imposition on your workflow at any retail pharmacy; especially once word gets around that you’re selling 10-packs - no questions asked.

Why does it have to fall on the lap of retail pharmacists to do this? Any state can set up needle exchange programs and have RVs/vans circulate around the city.

I had someone OD in the bathroom at my pharmacy. Never again. I won’t do it. I got tired of going to the bathroom and running into *paranoid meth addicts holding a needle infected with god knows what and all ready to inject whatever. Then without fail, they would leave the used needles behind and tweet their friends alerting them they’d left some needles behind for them. Or I would find the needles in the parking lot.

Last year, target had to pay several million to this woman in the Carolinas who got stuck with a needle in an attempt to get it off her kid’s hand who had found it right in the middle of the parking lot.

I absolutely get your point and it’s valid. However, most people don’t realize that for most states that allow such transactions, the law does not state “the pharmacist SHALL”; instead it states “the pharmacist MAY” and usually there’s a “if in the professional judgment of the pharmacist”. It’s not mandatory. If it’s hurting your workflow, why do it? They may go somewhere else.

I get this. But sometimes doing the right thing isn't the same as doing the easiest thing. Just have your bathrooms on auto lock and make customers ask for the key. If they are drug user tell them the bathroom is out of order. Hopefully they get the message to shoot up in a public restroom, behind the building or in portajohn.

I don't think as a mature and responsible citizen it is ever okay to refuse clean needles to an addict. I know many pharmacists do it though and even have told me they wish the government would just round up and execute all the addicts. Empathy. Life can change in a second your family members could easily become an addict overnight. No one wakes up and says "today i want to become addicted to heroin and steal anything of value from anyone who has ever loved me to feed my addiction. The government and their community at large has failed these people isolating them.

A lawsuit from a needle in a parking lot is bullcrap and was probably a scam set up by the litigant.

One time someone brought in a norco script from a dentist without a date. (In CA, the doctor must handwrite the date for c2s). I told him we couldn’t do anything and the only way is to bring it back to the dentist. He was pretty pissed but had no choice. He came back 45 min later with the fixed script and I filled it for him. He was a dollar short, so I just gave him a dollar out of my own pocket because I felt bad.

TBH I would've been a dick and requested a new Rx with a diff serial number as these numbnuts can write in the date themselves. Sad part is that negligent crap happens all the time

TBH I would've been a dick and requested a new Rx with a diff serial number as these numbnuts can write in the date themselves. Sad part is that negligent crap happens all the time

Personally I can’t imagine caring who writes in the date.

I get this. But sometimes doing the right thing isn't the same as doing the easiest thing. Just have your bathrooms on auto lock and make customers ask for the key. If they are drug user tell them the bathroom is out of order. Hopefully they get the message to shoot up in a public restroom, behind the building or in portajohn.

I don't think as a mature and responsible citizen it is ever okay to refuse clean needles to an addict. I know many pharmacists do it though and even have told me they wish the government would just round up and execute all the addicts. Empathy. Life can change in a second your family members could easily become an addict overnight. No one wakes up and says "today i want to become addicted to heroin and steal anything of value from anyone who has ever loved me to feed my addiction. The government and their community at large has failed these people isolating them.

A lawsuit from a needle in a parking lot is bullcrap and was probably a scam set up by the litigant.

Thank you for putting yourself in our shoes. I don't know if you are in retail or not. It's appreciated. Now, allow me to address your proposition on having the bathroom on auto-lock and make customers ask for the key.
1. At CVS, you rarely ever have overlap, so that means the pharmacist becomes the key janitor.
2. If you start choosing who you give the key to, you'd better be prepared to explain to corporate and to anyone who decides to file a lawsuit for discrimination.
3. Just because the bathroom is closest to the pharmacy than the front of the store does not mean the pharmacist or pharmacy staff should be interrupted incessantly and eventually make an error. "we do not have keys to the restroom signs". Front staff can handle that.
4. Again, why does it have to fall on the lap of retail pharmacies/pharmacists? Hospitals would have an easier time disposing of the needles. So why not set up the exchange or sales there?
5. Those transactions take time. I've counted them. I mean I'd get two tech hours for a full shift and then what? I'd be the one ringing up syringes? No, thank you. It would be 60-70 people asking for them. No way.
6. That needle is only used as a clean needle ONCE. It does not matter to them. Insurance companies now cover Truvada for IV drug users. Were you aware of that? That's the government and PBMs realizing that it's costing way to much to treat HepC and HIV in these people, so let's at least avoid HIV. Why? Because they know that needle will be reused many times.
7. Here is the link to that "bullcrap" Woman stuck by needle in Target parking lot awarded $4.6M

I would much rather prevent that. Survival of the fittest. I understand selling them OTC is not a needle exchange program but when they leave them behind, the transaction inevitably becomes just that. I refuse to. It's always up to the pharmacist''s judgment and when you sell them, you are blessing them with your license. So, again, the answer is no. Note that I am not against IV drug users having access to clean needles. That's not it. You don't need that person getting high in the restroom and then go run around target, or what if you head to the restroom and in their high they stumble upon you, lose balance and stick you with it. That's when the story would change for you.

Personally I can’t imagine caring who writes in the date.

I believe every Walmart tech in CA would if that's a requirement. They'll take any opportunity to put any pharmacist on the hot seat.

Why should they be free for addicts and not for people who actually NEED them? I don't think that's right at all. If you want them to be free, then they should just be free for everyone.

Why are all used needles automatically the property of illegal drug users? No irresponsible insulin users out there throwing their needles on the ground?

Why should they be free for addicts and not for people who actually NEED them? I don't think that's right at all. If you want them to be free, then they should just be free for everyone.
I'm fine with this. Just put a tax on all opiates and use it to subsidize free syringes.

Why are all used needles automatically the property of illegal drug users? No irresponsible insulin users out there throwing their needles on the ground?
Because people like to vilify illegal IV drug users to emotionally and mentally separate themselves from "an evil drug user". Irresponsible diabetes insulin drug users do not fit into this pre-constructed narrative.

I get where you are coming from however, I think it is a safety issue for customers and employees. Also a place of business should also keep rates of theft in mind as well. Does a place of business want to advertise to this population?

Last edited:
I get where you are coming from however, I think it is a safety issue for customers and employees. Also a place of business should also keep rates of theft in mind as well. Does a place of business want to advertise to this population?

I agree 100%. It is a safety issue for customers and employees. A retail space, where you are also selling toys and video games, is not the best place to have all the already mentioned issues and anecdotes arise on a regular basis. But somehow, retail pharmacists got stuck with the responsibility to say yes or no. Pharmacists are also supposed to direct them to the website where pharmacies that participate in the needle sale/purchase program are listed. I do that and advise them to call. Techs know to say that if I'm on duty. It's either a box of 100 with a prescription from your prescriber OR the website.

When a customer complains to you that they can't afford their $100+ co-pay and how they will be in the hospital or broke because of you, and you spend 20-30 minutes attempting to explain to them (between other customers because you're the only person in the pharmacy) that you really wish you could help, but you truly have nothing to do with their insurance deductible. You even try all 5 of their discount cards that they got "in the mail at some point" (3 of them are expired), but the best one only takes off a few dollars, so they just use their insurance anyway...

And then they proceed to buy $100 worth of overpriced convenience items like doritos and pre-packaged starbucks drinks....and you instantly regret that you actually put effort into helping them....