Quick rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When a customer complains to you that they can't afford their $100+ co-pay and how they will be in the hospital or broke because of you, and you spend 20-30 minutes attempting to explain to them (between other customers because you're the only person in the pharmacy) that you really wish you could help, but you truly have nothing to do with their insurance deductible. You even try all 5 of their discount cards that they got "in the mail at some point" (3 of them are expired), but the best one only takes off a few dollars, so they just use their insurance anyway...

And then they proceed to buy $100 worth of overpriced convenience items like doritos and pre-packaged starbucks drinks....and you instantly regret that you actually put effort into helping them....

You forgot how they proceed to pull out their iphone X and pay with apple pay. Now THAT'S my job right there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
1. Syringes should be free for opiate dependent individuals. Do you really want HIV and hepatitis being spread in your community? The drug user buying NEW needles is actually one of the smarter drug users as there are many more just using and reusing and sharing needles.

You make a valid point about the spread of HIV and hepatitis. However, if we're going to be providing free syringes to IV opioid drug users, why not just start unquestioningly accepting the *probably* fake opioid prescriptions that people show up with that they suddenly would rather fill elsewhere when I tell them I will need to call their doctor. Heck, why not provide them with a free script for high dose oxycodone #180, while you're at it (pharmacist can write Rx for OTCs in some states, so why not oxycodone??). After all, by providing people with clean opioids, you will be protecting them from the probably tainted/contaminated drugs that they buy off the street like heroin spiked with fentanyl and Lord knows what else.

I totally get where you're coming from, and the current opioid addiction epidemic is a complicated problem that's difficult to solve, but I don't think enabling opioid addicts by giving them supplies is the answer. I am totally in support of Naloxone programs to save someone's life, free hep B vaccines to at risk individuals, and opioid treatment rehab programs, etc. Also, there's a LOT that needs to be done in terms of getting drugs off the street, controlling doctor prescribing, etc. and certainly none of this will be easy.

And yes, if you are the only pharmacy in town handing out free syringes, no questions asked, you're about to become very popular with certain customers... very, VERY popular...

Reactions: 1 user
You make a valid point about the spread of HIV and hepatitis. However, if we're going to be providing free syringes to IV opioid drug users, why not just start unquestioningly accepting the *probably* fake opioid prescriptions that people show up with that they suddenly would rather fill elsewhere when I tell them I will need to call their doctor. Heck, why not provide them with a free script for high dose oxycodone #180, while you're at it (pharmacist can write Rx for OTCs in some states, so why not oxycodone??). After all, by providing people with clean opioids, you will be protecting them from the probably tainted/contaminated drugs that they buy off the street like heroin spiked with fentanyl and Lord knows what else.

I totally get where you're coming from, and the current opioid addiction epidemic is a complicated problem that's difficult to solve, but I don't think enabling opioid addicts by giving them supplies is the answer. I am totally in support of Naloxone programs to save someone's life, free hep B vaccines to at risk individuals, and opioid treatment rehab programs, etc. Also, there's a LOT that needs to be done in terms of getting drugs off the street, controlling doctor prescribing, etc. and certainly none of this will be easy.

And yes, if you are the only pharmacy in town handing out free syringes, no questions asked, you're about to become very popular with certain customers... very, VERY popular...

I actually agree with giving out free opiates to addicts in a controlled environment. It reduces deaths from fent contamination. When heroin addicts need money they will steal, rob and kill for the drug. By providing it to them for free you reduce crime and violence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually agree with giving out free opiates to addicts in a controlled environment.

Who is paying for the opiates? What makes the addicts more deserving of that money than cancer patients?

Who is paying for the opiates? What makes the addicts more deserving of that money than cancer patients?
I saw a short documentary on a country that gave out free heroin for people to use in government run clean facilities with free clean needles (it was a while back - I don’t recall the country). It drastically cut down heroin use in the younger population because heroin users were out in the open for everyone to see and nobody wanted to end up like them. I imagine the decrease in ER visits related to overdoses and endocarditis offset the cost of the program.

they are paid for by a increased tax on legal opiates. You don't get free cancer drugs because they are expensive and aren't adding much life to someone's lifespan vs a 21 year old heroin addict also if someone doesn't get cancer drugs they arn't going to rob someone on the street for money so there is a crime reduction aspect as well.

they are paid for by a increased tax on legal opiates. You don't get free cancer drugs because they are expensive and aren't adding much life to someone's lifespan vs a 21 year old heroin addict also if someone doesn't get cancer drugs they arn't going to rob someone on the street for money so there is a crime reduction aspect as well.

Does everyone have access to the free opiates or only addicts with a history? How is it fair that cancer patients have to pay insurance premium and a copay to get opiates for their pain while addicts get them for free?

Does everyone have access to the free opiates or only addicts with a history? How is it fair that cancer patients have to pay insurance premium and a copay to get opiates for their pain while addicts get them for free?

Did you even read my post? I said it's fair because of the massive crime reduction and cost to effectiveness ratio. Cancer drugs are expensive, heroin is cheap. Only addicts have access.

Did you even read my post? I said it's fair because of the massive crime reduction and cost to effectiveness ratio. Cancer drugs are expensive, heroin is cheap. Only addicts have access.

Did you read my post? I’m talking about cancer patients getting opiates for their pain.

Did you read my post? I’m talking about cancer patients getting opiates for their pain.
Sure give cancer patients free heroin and only heroin. Heroin is cheap. Not many cancer patients get heroin. In fact heroin is still controlled 1 in the US and not given at all unlike how diamorphine is given out to cancer patients in Europe. Free heroin subsidized by increased taxes on the other opiates.