quick schedule question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkeyjerky

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my first period in year 3, i'm doing 4 weeks of surgical subspecialities. I can do either 2 weeks each of urology and ENT, or 4 weeks of urology. Which do you recommend?

I'm not really interested in either of those fields, or surgery in general, so i just want to do whichever would give me the best overall experience. I'm somewhat worried that just doing two weeks would not really let me get in the swing of things and i wouldn't end up getting to do anything. But then again, variety is always nice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with 2 weeks of each to see as much as I can. Heck, who knows if you are going to fall in love with one of them.

I'd go with 2 weeks of each to see as much as I can. Heck, who knows if you are going to fall in love with one of them.

Agreed. I would also point out that ENT has a lot of relevance to the rest of medicine given the large numbers of patients we see with sinus/throat/nose issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. I would also point out that ENT has a lot of relevance to the rest of medicine given the large numbers of patients we see with sinus/throat/nose issues.
I agree... give them a chance - or if you're 100% certain that you don't like either, then go with the one that has the easiest schedule :D

I agree... give them a chance - or if you're 100% certain that you don't like either, then go with the one that has the easiest schedule :D
it's not so much that i don't like them, it's more that i'm a little worried that if i just do two weeks the residents or attendings won't get to know me enough and i'll just end up shadowing. if that's not a worry then i'll just go ahead and do two weeks of each

it's not so much that i don't like them, it's more that i'm a little worried that if i just do two weeks the residents or attendings won't get to know me enough and i'll just end up shadowing. if that's not a worry then i'll just go ahead and do two weeks of each

Plenty of time to get involved in 2 weeks. Just be proactive and ask to get involved with procedures, scrubbing in, etc. If you are enthusiastic, most residents and attendings love to get you involved. If you have no interest in surgical subspecialties, I would try to see some of each. You will likely see urological and ENT complaints in most areas of medicine, and some exposure will benefit you.

The learning curve in 3rd year is pretty steep. You usually understand the routines of the rotation in the first week, carry out those routines in the second week, get bored during the 3rd week, and want to blow your brain out in the 4th week. If you can get just the first 2 weeks and avoid the 2nd two, go for it :thumbup:.