Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Quick silly question.

Discussion in 'Dental' started by jdpharmd?, May 4, 2004.

1. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

Is it common for people to be congenitally missing their "upper 2s"? Of course, I'm missing them and it never really bothered me until I realized that my top teeth are totally STRAIGHT, but the gaps caused by the "v-shaped" canines make my top row look a little odd. Do people normally do anything about this? I've never noticed anyone with the same problem. :thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xc1999

xc1999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hmmm...I'm not quite sure I understand your k9 problem, but my upper molars never erupted either. You're not alone in that aspect.

4. UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your upper laterals or 2s are the most commonly missing and have the most variable morphology of any tooth except for your wisdom teeth.

5. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    "Upper 2s" are orthodontic talk for lateral incisors and yes, it is not uncommon for people to be missing them or have really skinny, disproportionately sized ones.

Mine are missing and the orthodontist shaved down the points on the "v-shaped" caninies after closing the small gap between the canines and the front two teeth. The orthodontist could also move the canines further toward the back to create more space and you could have some kind of fake "upper 2s" put in, through implants or bridges. Which option your orthodontist will take depends on how much room there is in your mouth.

6. oms fan

oms fan How I feel everyday...
    5+ Year Member

Something interesting...take a look at a picture of Tom Cruise. He is missing his upper left lateral but the upper right is present. That is why his midline is shifted...Happens a lot.