Quick silly question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common for people to be congenitally missing their "upper 2s"? Of course, I'm missing them and it never really bothered me until I realized that my top teeth are totally STRAIGHT, but the gaps caused by the "v-shaped" canines make my top row look a little odd. Do people normally do anything about this? I've never noticed anyone with the same problem. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...I'm not quite sure I understand your k9 problem, but my upper molars never erupted either. You're not alone in that aspect.

Your upper laterals or 2s are the most commonly missing and have the most variable morphology of any tooth except for your wisdom teeth.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Upper 2s" are orthodontic talk for lateral incisors and yes, it is not uncommon for people to be missing them or have really skinny, disproportionately sized ones.

Mine are missing and the orthodontist shaved down the points on the "v-shaped" caninies after closing the small gap between the canines and the front two teeth. The orthodontist could also move the canines further toward the back to create more space and you could have some kind of fake "upper 2s" put in, through implants or bridges. Which option your orthodontist will take depends on how much room there is in your mouth.

Something interesting...take a look at a picture of Tom Cruise. He is missing his upper left lateral but the upper right is present. That is why his midline is shifted...Happens a lot.